1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Sesame Street's psychedelic numbers segement?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Mike_G, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Hi all,
    Ok, does this exist ANYWHERE? For years, whenever you talk to someone about SS, the numbers segement ALWAYS comes up. I haven't seen it in 30 years. Can you buy it? Is there a SS archive on the web or something?

Mike

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    What segment is that? The pinball machine?

How about the big-mouth aliens. Are they still around? "Raaadiiiiioooooo! Yep yep yep yep. Uh-huh Uh-huh."

3. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    No, it was this segement they played almost every day in the early 70's. They'd either count up from 1 or down from some high number. When they hit the "number of the day", all these colors would explode or something...I dunno, it's been so long since I've seen it, which is why I'm trying to find it.

Mike

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I have a Fisher-Price Movie Viewer film cartridge that has some of the animation from this on it- this was a hand-cranked viewer you looked through, and it has no sound. I know it's got the numbers and the baker falling down the stairs. They need to put out a DVD with all this stuff!

5. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I've always liked the Ladybug Picnic and Chickens in the Tree segments.

I remember the psychedelic number sequence. I saw it a quite a few times as a kid in the early '80s. I have no idea if it's available on video or on the net.

I also remember the pinball segment.

And I remember the aliens. They were trippy with their mouths always moving around and all getting going at once when one would make a noise or say something.

6. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Well, this all came about because my daughter was watching SS the other day and it was clips from the last 30 years. I didn't watch the whole thing, but all these things I remember from the show are coming back to me (as well as old shows like G4 or New Zoo Revue. Scary).

Yes, they HAVE to put this stuff out on DVD. I don't like when video isn't preserved.

Well, I could do without Wonderama DVDs [​IMG].

Mike

7. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

Sometimes it shows up on Sesame Street: Unpaved

8. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

"1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7...

SEVEN, SEVEN, SEVEN, SEVEN, Lets sing a song about SEVEN...

How many is SEVEN?

Seven ducks... 1-2-3-4-5-6-7...."

I watched SS in the '70's as a kid. In the mid 80's, I caught an episode and realized that the segments I watched as a kid were obviously inspired by drugs. I never took acid, but after seeing the segment about the letter O... something about a goat and lots of swirling colored O's... I felt I knew what acid was like.

C

BTW, Those aliens and the "BBRRRRRRRRRR-IIIINNNNG, (telephone) Yep yep yep yep..... kinda scared me. :|

9. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    This is on the Sesame Street Name that Song DVD that was released this past Tuesday

10. Cartoon1984

Cartoon1984 Extra

All ten of the baker films can be viewed at sesamestreet.org (listed as "Baker Number 1" and so on... Or you can type in "baker" or "henson" iin search and theyll all show up). Sesame Workshop has also uploaded some to its official hulu and youtube channels.

The 1 film was recently released on the 40th anniversary DVD, Sesame Street: 40 Years of Sunny Days (in fact, it's the first segment shown, after the opening). The 2 and 3 films were both included in the first episode, which was released on the Old School: Volume 1 DVD (and also the bonus disc that came with the recent 40th anniversary book), while the #2 segment also appears in other episodes in the Old School DVDs.

11. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Is this what you're looking for?