Servo Drives?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeremyFr, Feb 19, 2003.

1. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

Ok a few years ago I stumbled accross this technology and found it very interesting. A speaker powered by an eletrical motor hence elimnating distortion related to the traditional "motor" assemblys used today. They mainly use this for large PA type speakers, bass bins to be exact why hasn't this technology evolved into home subwoofer use. The specs on these things are absolutely amazing and from the looks of it, it takes alot less power to get the same results with these types of speakers. Well whats your opinion on this??? I think this would be a very good discussion to start up.

For more on these amazing speakers check out.
    http://www.servodrive.com/

BTW how many speakers do you know of that can produce enough volume to cancel out the sound of a jet engine??

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Mark Seaton hangs around the forums (esp. AVS) and is a company rep. I believe they are designing a version for the HT market (although some people already use them in their theaters).

3. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    Hi Jeremy,

Indeed, I try and keep an eye on what is posted here. It should be realized that the ContraBass is about a 15 year old product. The BassTech7 is a proper bass horn for sound reinforcement applications, with few equals. The most dramatic difference with the ServoDrive mechanism is in the alignments we can create (frequency response in a given cabinet) along with the unique distortion characteristics in that the distortion actually goes DOWN with increasing output until it reaches about 1% across its range. It is nice to see that after 15 years other offerings are catching up, and it has only been in the past year that I have come on board to head our efforts into the home theater market. There are some more products in the works, with similarly suprising performance. We are not yet ready to replace the ContraBass, but we do have a few new products that should prove interesting to a wider range of users. The motor and the entire assembly are indeed cost prohibitive, adn the prices will reflect that. At the same time, the ServoDrive system offers a set of performance characteristics which are not available from other designs.

The ContraBass has been getting significant use in the past year in installed home theaters, and expect to hear more of what we are doing between now and CEDIA.

If there are any questions I can answer about how the mechanism works or any other issues, fire away.

Regards,