Servo 15

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard_S, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

What do you guys think of Paradigm's Servo 15? I have the PS1200 right now and I'm thinking of upgrading to it.

2. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

the servo15 is a very good sub and it is a big step from the ps1200. i just upgraded from pdr12 to servo15 last week and the improvement in both music and ht is very big. after 6 months of research and auditioning, the servo15 is the best sub for the money (this is with the absence of SVS and HSU in our place - shipping and tax makes the price of these 2 brands quite expensive)

3. Michael D

Michael D Stunt Coordinator

I believe the Servo-15 is great for both music and HT. I have two in my system and am quite pleased.

4. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

I have heard both the Servo-15 and the PW-2200 demoed with my B&W 602S2's in the dealer showroom. That servo-15 is flat out awesome! The cabinet size is a little bit over the WAF for me though.

Pete

5. Michael D

Michael D Stunt Coordinator

Pete,

I know what you mean about the subs being on the large size. However the good news is I have had my second sub for about 2 months now and she has not asked one question about it. And you know how hard they are to hide!!!

6. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I really like the Servo 15. I am planning on buying two of them next year and moving my PDR-10 to the surround channel.

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

I have one too and am very pleased with it for both music and HT. I'll need a Behringer Feedback Destroyer to tame my room though to get full enjoyment out of it, but that's on the to-do list. [​IMG]

8. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

the servo15 is a great unit, it's very rare when you find someone unhappy with it. I think you'll love it.

TV

9. Howard_S

Would putting the Servo 15 in a faroff corner far away from the listening position be the ideal place to put it or just a typical place close to the wall?

I am tempted to get 2 subs into my system but probably won't buy 2 Servo 15s at the present moment. Do you think my PS1200 will work well with the Servo 15? I know I won't NEED my PS1200 but would it make movies sound better or worse? I guess I just don't want my current sub to go to waste. I probably won't end up selling it but if I do what will it fetch?

10. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    The Servo is a great sub.I started with a PDR12 a few years ago then went to the 2200 and then to the Servo 15.This sub never ceases to bring a smile to my face.I wanted to add another sub to my very large room to come closer to Reference bass and recently added a SVs 20-39cs.I have to say the the SVS handles itself very well next to the more expensive Servo.I will tell you if you add another sub put them in the same corner and make sure that they are both the same subs! Each make has different characteristics and thus different responses.I am finding out the hard way.Also get a Parametric EQ to tame the peaks and valleys.I bought my Servo about 3 years ago before SVS was around if I had it to do all over I would buy the ultra package.Reason being is its much less expensive than 2 Servos and the X-30 and they perform very well.

Cheers,

Steve

11. Howard_S

What did you do with the PS2200? Did you put it beside the Servo15 ever?

So would my PS1200 go well with the Servo 15 or am I better off having just the Servo15?

12. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

i have tried to use both the pdr12 and the servo15 in the dealer's room but not at home and i find it difficult to match them especially for music because of different tonal characteristic. i am not sure but maybe if they were at home i could have more time to adjust them.

13. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

My personal opinion of the PS1200 vs Servo 15 is that they don't play in the same league. Gut feeling says the 1200 would just drag the Servo down to its level... but I may be wrong.

Not saying the 1200 is a bad sub, just that the Servo is better, and that I think the lesser qualities of the 1200 would be detrimental to the whole as compared to running with

the Servo only.

I just think the 1200 is more of a home theater "boom" kind of sub whereas the Servo is more musical. Admittedly I haven't listened much to the 1200 though.

14. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I would agree with each of Kimmo's excellent points. The 1200 sounded to me like all the other bandpass subs I've heard, where smooth output over a wide range is sacrificed for high SPL's/efficiency (a "home theater" sub if there ever was one).

I found the comparison between the Servo and the PW2200 much closer, and actually preferred the 2200 on most material (I've often found servo-corrected subs to have a certain "sound" to them I can't quite put a finger on), although I don't doubt the Servo15 can go louder/deeper. And do take the recommendation of a good parametric eq to heart, I'd rather have a "lesser" sub and an eq than an excellent sub which is at the mercy of my room.

15. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

interesting...

so the PW2200 is very close or actually better than the Servo 15 in terms of quality?

i was starting to look into adding the Servo 15 to my PW2200, but I guess I'll hold for the new Klipsch Reference subs...

16. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

17. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

The PW-2200 is an absolutely amazing subwoofer and it comes very close to the performance of the Servo 15. If you can't afford to step up to the Servo, the PW-2200 is the next obvious choice.
    I have had mine now for almost two years and I (and guests to my theater) am continually shocked at the quantity and quality of bass put out by this sub.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say it is better than the Servo 15 - I don't think it is. But once you factor in the cost differential, they come pretty darned close to each other.
    ----
    Jeff

18. Howard_S

19. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

the price difference is almost double...

msrp for the PW2200 is 800 and 1500 for the Servo 15...

so my qeustion is the following: would you get better performance from two PW-2200 than one servo 15?

if so, then there isn't much point in buying the servo, is there?

20. Howard_S

That is very true. Any thoughts on this?