servo 15 without x-30 crossover

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard cash, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Richard cash

Richard cash Stunt Coordinator

ok, you may have rememberd me posting a topic about which sub you recommended, well after considering the reviews of people in hte forum and in mags i have decided to go with the servo 15 at £500. The only problem is is that it doesn't come with the x-30 or x-20 crossover. Does this make the sub pretty much useless? All that is on the back of the sub is the volume cotrol, no phase or freq. cutt off. I have heard that you can control the frequency cut off from your 5.1 amp? I have a sony str db940 but i cant find any option that will let me do that

any thoughts are grateful

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

You need to figure out what the Sony will do as far as the crossover point. You CAN use the sub as is, especially for digital movies since the DD xover will send the correct signal. Not sure what happens outside DD, tho.

I use an SV sub, with the rec's (HK) output going non-filtered into the amp, then to the sub. Basically the same way you would have it.

I've experienced no ill effects.

Besides, the x-20 and x-30 can be had used for cheap, they come across ebay occasionally.

Good Luck!

- CM

3. Steve Bate

Steve Bate Auditioning

Richard,

I thought the Servo 15 came with the x30. When I spoke to Richer Sounds they told me it was inclusive for £500.

Steve

4. Michael Eriksen

Michael Eriksen Stunt Coordinator

I also have the servo-15 and was also in doubt if I should buy the X-30, which I did finally.

The best thing about the X-30 is that it allows you to do a variable fase adjustment. That allowed me via a spl-meter and a 20-80 hz testsignal to adjust the sub so it playes in fase with the speakers. Without the X-30 you cant adjust the fase at all.

That alone justified the cost to me.

Michael Eriksen

5. Richard cash

Richard cash Stunt Coordinator

steve, which store did you ring? i was intending to get mine from richersounds but assumed that it didn't come with an x-30 because of the price, in other stores i have seen them priced at about £750 - £850.

6. Steve Bate

Steve Bate Auditioning

Richard,
    I've checked a few and know a few people who've bought them. It is included at £499.95 although they are a nightmare to deal with. Where do you live? There's a new RS just opened in Chester and they should be more willing to offer decent service.
    Double check that you've got the necessary cables and the X-30 before you leave the shop and the condition of the Servo 15. They appear to mishandle them (probably down to the weight [​IMG] )
    They are absolutely stunning subs, that for a change, are quite a bargain in the UK. Be prepared for structural damage!!
    HTH
    Steve

7. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Regarding whether or not the X30 is included w/ the sub, I asked this exact question of Paradigm last year. The answer I got from Paradigm is that it is the dealer's option. Does that make sense to you guys?

Rich B.

8. Tommy Levario

The x-30 or x-20 is included in with the Servo-15. Some dealers may deny it so they can sell it to you for extra $. If you don't know that it is included, they'll take advantage of it. I know because I just bought a Servo-15 and I had that same argument with the dealer. Even Paradigms own web site says that the controller is included with the Servo-15.
    Servo-15 Subwoofer
    But even with this proof, the dealer didn't believe it was included in the purchase. I finally got him to call his Paradigm rep. When he finished talking to the rep. he turned around and said "YOU GOT IT, which one do you want". That was great! The only problem was that I didn't know which one I needed.
    Can anyone tell me why I should pick one over the other? I've look at Paradigm's web and they do have a comparison chart but I'm a newbie and I haven't learned all the HT lingual yet.

9. John H

John H Second Unit

The X-30 control unit is definitely included with the Servo 15 but is packaged separately and may be deleted if not needed.
    John