servo 15 with no x-30 crossover: alternatives?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard cash, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Richard cash

Richard cash Stunt Coordinator

can i use another amp to do the same job as the x-30. I was thinking about getting a cheap £80-£100 stereo amp to control the volume as the volume control at the back of the sub is very awkward to get to from where i have positioned it. Have any of you tried this?

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Richard: I'm a bit confused...since the Servo 15 has on-board amplification, I don't see why you would want (or could use) another amp??

The X-30 gives you (and your Servo 15), at line level, an adjustable lowpass filter, volume control, a choice of 3 highpass filters and adjustable phase control. Very few other pieces of equipment can offer all of these features in one box.

Do you have to have one? No, if the gear that feeds the Servo 15 has a fairly well system matched lowpass filter and offers a good range of subwoofer volume adjustment. Some might also argue that the phase control is critical but that can be somewhat compensated for by moving the sub to a different physical location. And the need for the X-30's highpass section is also not as important due to most home theater receiver's/amp's ablility to run speakers as "Small" (IOW, already having highpass crossovers on-board.)

But to answer your original question, IMO, no, I don't think you could use another amp. Maybe some kind of passive volume control, but I'd think you'd be nearing the X-30's price range by that time...

3. ChrisSk

ChrisSk Extra

Assuming you got the Servo-15 from Richer Sounds (since you're in the UK), they should have included the X30 in the first place...

Is there any particular reason why you need to change the sub level frequently? Usually sub level is a set it and forget it thing when you've calibrated your setup.

4. Richard cash

'Assuming you got the Servo-15 from Richer Sounds (since you're in the UK), they should have included the X30 in the first place...' I got the servo 15 for £350 because it didn't have the crossover with it

Is there any particular reason why you need to change the sub level frequently? Usually sub level is a set it and forget it thing when you've calibrated your setup. I like to listen to music at a higher level than movies

5. ChrisSk

ChrisSk Extra

In that case, you could use an old reciever or stereo amp if it has some sort of variable output like pre-outs - the tape output usually stays at a fixed level and the speaker outputs would damage the sub. You might try Maplin's, they may have a passive pre-amp that could do what you want for a bit cheaper.

If your reciever has some sort of sub level control you could maybe program a remote control macro to adjust the sub level up for music and and another to adjust it back down again for movies.

6. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Richard

I modified your header slightly - in the future please avoid using teasers. You'll find more people will read and respond to your threads when they know the topic beforehand.

7. Richard cash

thanks for the advise