Servo-15 on a slab? 1 feet high?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Levesque, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

I've read in last The Perfect Vision that they recommend putting the Servo-15 on a slab, 1 feet high!!!

What should we use as a "slab"? I mean what people are using under their sub? Concret? What are my options here?

And 1 feet high! Seriously?

Mine is directly on a wood floor, and was wandering if this set-up (slab, 1 feet high) could really improve anything.

Do people really put slabs under sub?

2. Ian J

Ian J Auditioning

Yes, a good solid slab underneath a sub can tighten up bass response a good deal. I have also heard of people putting slabs on top of the sub as well.

I think that one foot thick is a bit OTT but a solid paving slab should show an improvement. It can always be covered with some fabric to make it more house friendly.

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Well many put their sub or subs on slabs. They use a large number of different types. Paving stones, patio blocks, precast concrete walk way blocks, and the classic, a piece of square or round Marbel. Of course you want to put something in bewtween the slab and sub as spikes on marble don't mix usually. Many have used carpet remenets, rubber pads, door stops, rubber discs, all kinds of stuff.

Raising it off the floor a foot probley helps by lessing the effects of one bounder gain, the floor. This can be good or bad depending on your rooms frequency responce to begin with.

The idea behind a slab is to help with resonances and tranfer of direct contact with the floor. Some say it makes quiet a difference in tighting the bass up in especialy lower end line of subs. The Sony-40 has been said to benifit from this greatly and other modifications like sound deadener on the walls and poly-fill stuffing.

The slab can can help a little with wave transfer, but deep bass waves are so long that they penatrate pretty much anything & everything. Just ask the neighbor living below, beside, above, down the hall, or nexy door to a SVS, Ariel-SW, Big Velo-HGS, etc owner, in an apartment complex.

Hope that helps
    Geoof

4. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor