Servo-15 dammaged?? Newbie need help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Levesque, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

First think first I'm french, and a newbie (bad combination LOL). Doing my best with english.
    Just receive my Servo-15 monday, and installed it in the evening. I've done the calibration with AVIA, with my Servo-15 at 5 dB hot over reference level. I've played 15 minutes of a movie,then crack crak clack like something ratteling inside, and some high crack crack. But the Servo-15 still plays the LFE but I hear some loud crack. Is it dammaged?? My dealer just pick it up and says he will open it and service it. I want a new one but he refuse, saying I maybe played it to loud and break it!!!BREAK IT!!
    I tought there was a mecanism in the amp to avoid breaking the sub?? I'm I right?? I use a 100 watts Yamaha RX-V2200, and the level of the sub was at only 1/3rd (around 10 o'clock), the X-30 level at 10 o'clock, and the amp volume at 10 o'clock to !!!! Was it really too loud. Can I really break this thing in 10-15 minutes of listening. If so, then I am really surprised and annoyed. Did my dealer is giving me good service?? I don't like the idea of him opening it... Should I ask for an exchange immediatly??
    AL[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

Hey,

I own all Paradigm studio gear except my subs (DIY). I bought all of my Paradigm gear from a dealer who always told me Paradigm basically will fix speakers for free even outside of the warranty period. I doubt you damaged your speaker, although I suppose it is possible. I would let the dealer try and fix it. If after that you are not happy I strongly recommend you take the matter up with Paradigm directly, they should take care of you. I would give your dealer a chance first though.

Let us know how things turn out!

3. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

playing it loud won't damage the unit. i have the servo15 and have tried to get the max. spl at different freq. on many occasions and it doesn't break down. the spl just stops getting higher (the servo limiting circuitry prevents this from happening)

4. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

Thanx for the replys. I really appreciate it. I will call my dealer tomorrow and see. I'm really happy to ear that I can't really "break it". It's only proving to me that my dealer don't really knows the product he is selling. If I'm not satisfied with him, then I will contact Paradigm directly.

AL