Service plan a good idea or not?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by BrianBbb, Jul 11, 2005.

1. BrianBbb

BrianBbb Agent

I'm getting close to buying a Sony KDF50WE655 from Best Buy for $2050. The service plan is $400 for 4 years. Normally I pass on service plans as I fugure with all of the money I save by passing on them, if something actually DOES go bad, I can just buy a new one. Are problems common with large screen LCD screens? What say you?

Any comments on the Sony would be welcomed also. [​IMG]

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The bulb in some Sony LCD units might be a problem. It's about $250 a pop.

Regards

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

that's the best argument against them. i heard somewhere if you never buy them, you'll come out ahead - even if you have to pay out of pocket to fix something.

but, i say they're like car insurance. you hate to pay them but you're glad you have it if you need it. the bb plan is considered a performance guarantee. not only do they promise it'll work ... they say it'll work *like new* for the four years. plus there's some other perks (no lemon guarantee, transferable warranty, etc).

----

really, this boils down to you. do you feel you can afford an out of pocket repair? if so, then skip it. otherwise, think of it as $100.00/yr for peace of mind.

4. RomanSohor

RomanSohor Second Unit

IT's probably worth if for bulb replacement, in fact, to the best of my knowledge the plan will be renewable at the end of four years, as well, so you can keep having them come out and replace the bulbs for you whenever you need one - might be handy if the TV gets used alot.

5. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

Be sure what the waranty covers... BB warranty plans I'm very leary of...and Ive had too use some! If it covers the Bulb...it might be worth it. If not. Dont waste your money.

6. BrianBbb

BrianBbb Agent

No other issues to worry about then besides the bulb?

7. JohnRow

JohnRow Auditioning

Burnt pixels are also a concern. You need to know if just one requires repair or if they have some threshold number that must be met before repair or replacement.

From my point of view I would expect one is enough but they may not agree.

JR

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

it does cover the bulb (i work for bb) -- no worries there.

it's a bumper to bumper warranty ... it covers everything that comes inside the box. whether it's your remote, your connections, the screen, the buttons, the bulb, whatever ... it's all covered.

9. Kirk Patrick

Kirk Patrick Stunt Coordinator

you can always shop around

there are companies that sell extended warranties

you don't need to buy it at the place you purchased it or at the time you purchase the set

some of the 3rd party extended warranties allow you to wait until the original warranty is almost up until you purchase the extended (often it is 60 days)

i have found that the 3rd party warranties are cheaper than the store warranties

as usual, read the fine print, in this case, very carefully

good luck

10. Steve*W

Steve*W Agent

Actually I work for Futureshop, which is owned by Best Buy Canada, and we have identical coverage as we use the same insurance company, and they "DO NOT" cover the bulbs. Sony covers you for the first year, and thats it. It is considered a consumable, and therefore is not covered by Best Buy/Futureshop.

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

steve, dunno about in canada, but here, the bulb is *DEFINITELY* covered. i'm 100% sure of that.

12. Steve*W

Steve*W Agent

BestBuy.com:
    General Exclusions: This Plan does not cover repairs caused by accidental or intentional physical damage, spilled liquids, insect infestation, misuse, abuse, altered serial numbers or damage caused by non-authorized repair personnel. Also not covered are replacement costs for lost or consumable parts (knobs, remotes, batteries, bags, belts, etc.) cosmetic damage and problems due to improper and/or non-factory authorized installation or repairs.

The bulb has a life span, and therefore is considered a consumable. Thats straight from our insurance company. Try phoning them and asking for yourself instead of taking someones word for it.

13. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

dude, whatever.

brian, trust me on this. i've heard from all management, etc ... the bulb is covered under the performance plan. we were explicity told this, we tell customers all the time in front of managers, my managers themselves pitch this, etc.

i even recall mgmt telling us that, in the past, the bulb was not covered ... but it is now. that was about, i dunno, six months or more.

i mean, i suppse it's possible the entire store, including management, is wrong. [​IMG]

14. BrianBbb

BrianBbb Agent

I'll be sure to ask exactly what is and isn't covered. Hopefully my salesperson will be accurate. The person I'ved been dealing with is a senior guy. I ownder if they'de be willing to do a deal like if I offer to buy the contract on the TV will they give me a contract on the surround sound package for free? [​IMG]

I've already got them to knock down the price of the TV to $2050. Any of you have any experience with this set?

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

brian, please do and let me know what they tell you. i'd be very curious.

i think sony makes great lcd's.

edit: nm...i thought you were talking about the 955 series. heck, even 2k for the 50" 655 is a good deal. the one you are looking at is virtually identical to the 955 series. only difference in the 955 is a better sound system and a little better video adjustability.