What's new

Service Mode (1 Viewer)

Jason_Broad

Auditioning
I have a RCA rear projection HD 52" television (not widescreen).

I just purchased a AVIA disk and was wondering if I needed to find the service codes for my tv to get the set fine tuned?

What would be in these hidden service modes?

Steve Lumbert

Stunt Coordinator
Be very cautious if you get in there. I did this on my old 50" Toshiba and caused my self considerable headache. There were literally hundreds of settings, some of them easy to understand others quite cryptic. Also, changes to some settings affected others.

I got into mine to tweak the convergence grid. After spending hours getting that perfect, I tweaked a couple other settings and they screwed up the entire grid. I spent literally 40+ hours getting it back to where I wanted it after special ordering overlay grids to assist me (it was that screwed up).

Bottom line, write down all of the settings before you change anything and change one thing at a time. I'd personally recommend that if you aren't an highly knowledgable about your TV service settings to stay out of there altogether and if you need to, pay a pro to ISF calibrate it.

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
The only thing you would need in the service menu would be geometry controls. Anything else in there (gain/bias) you kind of need measuring equipment to mess with. Be very careful in the service menu. If you plan on mucking around in there, make sure you know what the registers do before you change them and write everything down beforehand.

RG

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The basic AVIA tests do not require access to service mode. OTOH, a truly accurate calibration of a display device will require entering service mode, and some of the AVIA test patterns can be useful there.

But service mode is not something to be entered lightly, and it's not a place to experiment. If you don't know exactly what you're doing, you're more likely to mess up the whole display than improve it.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks