What's new

Service menu?? (1 Viewer)

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all, I'm new to these forums and I 've been reading about a service menu for my Panny PT51hx41. I have had this TV for a year now and never heard of this /smacks self in the head. But I was hoping that one of you could tell me how to access this feature and what it is generaly used for. I would GREATLY APPRECIATE it. Thanks Matt

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
The service menu is mainly for the service technicians to fix/alter your set. There are hundreds of registers that can make changes to geometry, convergence, color decoder, etc. Don't go into the service menu just to play arround. Use the service menu if you are confident you know what you are doing. Make sure you have a calibration DVD with video test images and grids to help you with the adjustments.

Do a search for service menu and panasonic for more info.

Barry Carlson

Auditioning
Jeff,

I noticed that you have the same exact tv that I do. How do you enter the service menu on the Sony?

Barry

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
If you decide to mess around with the service menu the first and most important step is to manually write down all of the original values. As jeff said there are hundreds of different variables that can be changed and if you get something wrong it could make the set unusuable.

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I did a search on my TV just to see what people here thought and came across the service menu. A few people tweaked their TV and sounded like it made it 10x better, so I was wondering if I could tweak mine also, not that I know exactly what I'm doing but I would like to adjust the conversion.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Realize that if you blindly go in there and damage your TV, you void your warranty. Be prepared to pay for any repairs yourself. The manufacturer should not have to foot the bill for one's folly.

Regards

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Barry,
For the sony TV's you have to start with the TV off. Press display, 5, vol +, PWR, the set will turn on in the service mode. Use 1 and 4 to scroll through the service menu, use 3 and 6 to change the values.
Be careful and write down all the original values before you go changing things.
Use this site to help you get throught the basics of the service menu.
http://209.145.176.7/~090/awh/sonyadj.html#intro
Also see my other post to fix the red push and black levels. Use RYR, RYB, GYR and GYB for the red and green adjustments.

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah Jeff after doing some thinking about it I won't be fiddling around with it. Right now I think the picture is great the way it is anyway. I don't want to f*** it up. But how do I find a REPUTABLE technician to calibrate my TV for me? Its been moved around quite a bit since I first purchased it, so I'm sure a calibration is long over due.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
You could look at the top of this forum and click the link for Lion Audio Video and have Gregg Loewen calibrate your set.

He will be in Minneapolis in Feb...

Don't take my word on his work since I'm a bit biased, but do a search and you will find many satisfied customers. Gregg has done a few hundred sets in the last year or so, and is quite familiar with Panasonics.

Barry Carlson

Auditioning
Jeff,

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely be careful before fooling around in there. My main thought is to get rid of the gray bars that show up when the Sony does the "squeeze" trick on animorphic movies.

Barry

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The rule of thumb for those that care is to calibrate fully when using a hired gun. After that ... possibly touch up work every year or so ... with that additional service costing significantly less than the original service.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks