What's new

"Service Menu"? (1 Viewer)

William-V

Stunt Coordinator
I've been reading on a few threads the term, "Service Menu" and I'm wondering what this is. If I understand correctly, it seems that this is for adjusting your TV's picture beyond what the usual brightness, contrast, tint, etc. can do. Am I correct? If so, do all TVs have this "Service Menu"? I have a 47" Samsung projection TV, and I've looked through the manual a few times now, but can't find any sign of a service menu or similar term. Does anyone know of a way to get to a Samsung's service menu?

Thanks a lot for info. I appreciate it.

Will

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
A service menu is a hidden or PW protected menu to be used by service technicians only. As such it is not usually listen in a manual. There are also sometimes(rarely?) factory menus which are beyond service level which set other paramaters such as the brand or model.

Adjustments in there are confusing and advanced, and you can permanently damage your display if you go messing with things willy nilly. I don't know anything about getting into service menus on particular consumer-grade models, but that info is probably on one of the forums somewhere.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The service menus are for servicing ... exactly as the term would indicate.

They are not user menus ... and blindly going in there to change items can damage your TV ... and would most certainly void your warranty.

It's like tampering with the source code of windows and then finding the program not working anymore ...

Regards

William-V

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, guys. I guess it's a good thing I can't find the service menu. I may get a technician to adjust the overscan and see if the blue halo I see when bright white and dark black meet can be eliminated or at least reduced.
Thanks again.

Will

Dustin Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
I've gotten into my service menu just to see what it's all about and most of the menu's were very confusing to me so I just exited out without adjusting anything.

To get into the service menu on my JVC AV65WP74

SLEEP TIMER on remote until it reads 0 min.

Then hit VIDEO STATUS and DISPLAY at the same time to bring up the service menu. Make sure the TV/Cable switch is on TV.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Will,

The only way I could reduce the blue halo on my Samsung CRT was to focus the blue in tighter and then a convergence. Now keep in mind this will affect the grayscale and also requires "going in" the set to make adjustements. Not something I recommend if your not electronically inclined.

There are Two menu's(least on my Sammy) one for convergence and one for the service menu. I would use the convergence grid first and avoid going in the service menu. If you want the service menu access and such I can email you the sequence.

I am not a TV repair tech nor ISF or the like. I Took a hit and miss approach:b I used a test disc and my eye to grade, which is not accurate for grayscale or color decoding. I am though happier with the set now than I was and Still plan to have it Calibrated

PatrickDT

Grip
I agree with Shawn on this one. A vats majority of projection TVs are not properly calibrated and converged right out of the box, I mean, think about the delivery process to begin with, huge deisel trucks don't ride like Infinitis. I did my 57" Toshiba, but I would strongly recommend just having it done professionally, it is a little pricey, but it makes a night and day difference if you want to get the most out of that TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks