Service menu with DVI

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Andy Stocker, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Andy Stocker

Andy Stocker Stunt Coordinator

I have a Panasonic 47wx53 and I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this when entering service mode. It seems that when I get in the service mode and switch to my DVD player (which happens to be the Samsung HD931) I can only change 4 color settings, the rest of the menu options are bolded out. At the top 1080i and DVI are in red so I know that I am in the right mode, but I'm wondering if I can't do any convergence or screen calibrating with DVI on. My HDTV is on my componet 1 input and I can access most of the service menu options there, but I'm wondering if I calibrate the 1080i with componet will it also be the same for 1080i with DVI...my guess at this point is no, however I've read where 480i and 480p are the same when you make service changes. But if it is the same whether it is componet or DVI I'd still wonder why with DVI I can only do very little. Hopefully with running programming in 1080i thru the DVI input we are not limited to just the 4 color setting changes.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Like I said, 1080i thru my componet inputs I change (I guess) everything that I'm supposed to be able to change, but thru the DVI input I can't do squat.

Thanks for any help

Andy

P.S. After thinking about this for a minute, I have another question: Say I take my Samsung HD931 back, how do people calibrate their tv's using a 1080i signal with Digital Video Essentials or Avia? My Panasonic has 480i, 480p and 1080i mode, but if I used my Xbox or even a progressive scan player I wouldn't be able to use the DVE disc to calibrate my HD (1080i) signal, would I?

2. Andy Stocker

Andy Stocker Stunt Coordinator

Ooops, I guess I may have stumped some people here, but can someone at least answer my question on how you are supposed to calibrate a 1080i image with a calibration disc? (Because most dvd players are at most 480p) The way I see it, if I pop in "Digital Video Essentials" on a DVD player that supports a max resolution of 480p, how would I be able to calibrate any resolution but that? If I am confusing anyone I'm sorry, I'm trying to say it right.

Thanks,

Andy