Service menu translation?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Shawn Solar, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I have been having considerable problems with my Samsung 55" tantus set(HCM553W-xac). Ranging from convergence and just plain weirdness with (now serviced and fixed) vertical line that used to run down the centre of the tv.

Some things I had no choice to take it upon myself to fix as ISF calibration is postponed to the summer as my brother is getting married and all extra funds are being allocated for that which is taking place in the Dominican[​IMG] . I'm mostly looking for some clarity when dealing with the service menu abbreviations. Such as

R-YR
    R-YB
    G-YR
    G-YB
    BPO
    BWD

I know the first four deal with colour decoding just not sure what does what

Also in the convergence/geometry menu I don't know what the vertical and horizontal offsets do or up-correction and low-correction. In the grid menu I don't know what each box size should be but was able to figure out most of the controls(though It took me awhile to figure out how to save it[​IMG] ) And got the picture so atleast everything was lined up nicely)

Anyone familiar with this set? or can tell me either here or offline what some of this stuff means. I've already had to different techs in my house the second was decent but forgot to do the convergence the first guy was horrible.

2. Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B Stunt Coordinator

The first four are axis controls for the color decoder. You can adjust these to get rid of red/green push, etc. I don't have a clue about the other two.

If you have Avia, you can adjust the color decoding by first setting saturation (color) and hue (tint) using the blue bars and blue filter. The best way to do this is to center your color and tint controls in the user menu and then adjust the color and tint in the service menu (using parameters usually labeled something like SUB COL and SUB HUE). Then adjust the color decoder axis controls while viewing the red bars and green bars through their respective filters to fine tune the color decoding. You may have to go through a couple of iterations because of interactions in the adjustments. As always, write down the initial factory settings for anything you change so that you can recover from any problems that may arise.

Good luck,
    Steve

3. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

Thanks Steve,

I have made quite a few changes to the colour/geometry and convergence over the last week. Probably spent about 5 hours or more total fine tuning it. I don't believe I can get it any better without going to extreme lengths with proper equipment. I even opened'er up and adjusted the blue by focusing it to get rid of some fringing. I figure it will have some affect on grayscale by reducing the amount of blue, But I also adjusted the green drive and cut.

Even without all the standard metres and scale equipment it looks leaps and bounds better than stock. Can't wait until I can call a ISF tech with all the toys to set it properly. I still haven't set the 480p and 1080i inputs but most of the controls seem to be global aside from the geometry settings. And with only one global user colour setting I can only get those inputs so good before I have to re-adjust the user settings.

I wrote the original settings down, thank goodness[​IMG] I would have been dead in the water without them