Service menu definitions for Toshiba 32A60...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy Olivera, May 15, 2001.

1. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

I would greatly appreciate it if somebody could give me a rundown of what the different parameters do, as I don't have a service manual(don't know where to find one). Also, what's the code to get into the design menu? TIA...
    ------------------
    "You mean we're all gonna die because you screwed up on the math?"
    DVD Count: 97 / LD Count: 51
    Latest Acquisitions: Blow Out(LD); F/X(LD); The Lion King(LD); Star Trek: 25th Anniversary Collection(LD); Star Trek: First Contact(LD).

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Andy, you can get a service manual cdrom from www.pacparts.com for the Toshiba A series tvs. Unfortunately, the service manual for the A series doesn't go into enough detail in explaining what all the parameters actually do so I'm interested in anything you find out. This is what I know (with the disclaimer that you change things at your own risk):
    HIT - height adjustment
    WID - width adjustment (this does nothing on my 27A40)
    {G,R,B}CUT - these set your low end greyscale.
    {G,B}DRV - these set the high end greyscale
    - CUT and DRVs interact though. In fact changing GDRV a few notches for instance, your eyes will see a difference at the low end greys whereas the color of white on the Avia test pattern won't change as far as your eyes (at least my eyes) are concerned.
    HPOS - horizontal positioning
    VPOS - vertical positioning.
    hope this helps,
    --tom

3. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

Thanks, Thomas. I've a feeling the HIT/WID and POS values are the only ones I'll be screwing with(need to get rid of +6% overscan on one side). Would you by chance know the part number for the CD? I've looked at Pacparts before, but I'm not sure how to find the correct manual. When I go into 32A60 it comes up out of stock...
    ------------------
    "You mean we're all gonna die because you screwed up on the math?"
    DVD Count: 97 / LD Count: 51
    Latest Acquisitions: Blow Out(LD); F/X(LD); The Lion King(LD); Star Trek: 25th Anniversary Collection(LD); Star Trek: First Contact(LD).

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

The part number should be the same as the 27A40 (everything is on one cdrom I think). But you're right, Pacific Parts does say that no matches could be found for the service manual for the 32A60 and it is listed as a different part number. That is strange. I'm pretty positive that the service manual for the 32A60 is the same as the one for the 36A60 and the 27A60 and that it's on the cdrom that I got. I can double check this.
    As for fixing overscan, my 27A40 also has +6 percent overscan on the right side with 4-5 being the norm on all other sides. This is how I determined that WID didn't do anything on my tv. I then tweaked HPOS but when I slid the screen over a little to even out the overscan on the right and left, I introduced convergence problems on the right side (bring up the Avia crosshatch pattern) - i.e. I had more discoloration on the right side than what I had before moving HPOS. So, I just left it the way it was since making improvements is not worth introducing more problems, in my opinion. So, be careful that you don't introduce some geometry and convergence distortions when you tweak the screen location and size.
    cheers,
    --tom