What's new

Service Guy is coming, what should I ask for? (1 Viewer)

Dann B

Auditioning
Hi all, I figured this is the place to ask. I've had my Panasonic 53WX52 for about 2 weeks now, and I called them today and scheduled a service call because I have some convergence issues with the set. This set offers a 2 stage convergence menu, but with those adjusted perfectly the far right 6 inches still has the red gun off by as much as 1/4" which seems like a lot for a set this new.

So they said that isn't normal and they are scheduling a service guy to come out. I see so many different calibration terms mentioned ISF, AVIA, White Glove etc... I have no idea what these are. Can I get any of them done under a service call? Will they do the good ones or do I have to ask?

Thanks for any insite into this.

-Dan

Dann B

Auditioning
OK, after spending several hours browsing around this site, it seems like here would be the ideal stuff I could get from this guy:

-Manual Focus
-Elec. Focus
-Greyscale Adjustment
-64 Pt. Convergence

I think if these things were done it would fix all my problems. I know that there are posts about how to do this stuff yourself, but it seems like most of it requires having that AVIA/ARIA disc with the test patterns etc which I don't have.

Next question is, will a tech guy do this? My experience with all tech type people is they just want to leave as fast as possible.

Andy_S

Second Unit
Tech's don't usually do calibrations like that. Some (like grayscale) require special equipment that a regular tech wouldn't have. You'll need to have an ISF calibrator do this kind of work for you. You'll probably have to look it up in the yellow pages or ask your local HT shop if they know anyone.

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
All those you have listed, save the grayscale, can be done by anyone with reasonable intelligence and the confidence to open up their TV set and fool around a little. The 64 pt. can be accessed through the service menu and corrected relatively easily (this will most certainly correct your issue). The e/m focus, though they require taking the front and rear panel off of the TV are very simple once you get in there. The e-focus consists of turning some knobs, and the m-focus loosening some nuts and pushing them either right or left. If you are willing doing these tweaks yourself will really pay off. Be sure to check out www.panny.tv. and good luck

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
The 64 pt. is a little complicated...I'm about to tackle that one myself. I would recommend doing the e/m focus first. They don't require anything special to perform. Then you really should pick up AVIA or something similar because having the basic picture controls set at the correct levels really should be the first step.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks