Service contracts

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Billy Fogerty, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Billy Fogerty

Billy Fogerty Stunt Coordinator

Aug 12, 2001
    Do you think it is worth getting a service contract when ordering online? I am going to be ordering the RP91N, but am wondering if I should get a 2 yr contract for $29.95? This is the first piece of hardware I have ordered oline. What are your opinions? [​IMG]
  2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Jun 29, 2000
    Personally, I believe that extended warranties are a complete crock. They are sold entirely for profit, not for customer "peace of mind".
    If you're buying online, I'd say that's another reason not to buy a contract. Depending on who you're buying from, who knows if the online dealer will be there a couple of years from now to honor the contract if something goes wrong?
    Places like Best Buy or Circuit City, at least you know they'll be around if you have to utilize it.....I still think they're a crock no matter where you buy them, but they make a little more sense at B&M stores.
    I've bought most of my system online and have only had one negative experience. That wasn't because of the dealer, but a bad product. I took my problem up directly with the manufacturer and it was taken care of.
    What I'd do is just make sure that the dealer has a time period that you can send the product back with no penalty (except return shipping).
    In some cases, this can be as little as 7 days, but I'd go for a place that gives 30 days. That way you've got a chance to see if the product performs to it's specs.
    I'd also say that if you can find a website that is authorized by the manufacturer to sell the product online, you're better off there too (especially if you've never bought online before).
    Electronics makers are notorious for refusing to honor warranties if they find out that you bought from an "unauthorized" website. Granted if you push them hard enough, they'll usually cave......