Service at DirectTV or Dish any better than cable?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JimmyK, Jan 16, 2004.

1. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    I'm getting so disgusted with the lack of customer service from our cable company (Cox Cable in Hampton Roads area of Virginia). The quality of the signal is good, but every single time I have to call for service, it's a major ordeal trying to get them to do what they say they are going to do.

So, I'm considering dumping Cox Cable and going to Dish or Direct TV. Is their service any better? If so, who would you pick?

Thanks!

JimmyK

2. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

DirecTV has recently won the JD Power award for Customer Service in the cable/sat provider industry, but it's definitely a lesser of many evils thing. I have had both good and bad experiences in my 6 years as a DirecTV customer, but the reason I stay has to do with their programming (NFL Sunday Ticket and HD offerings) as opposed to their CS.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    DirecTV because they have the DirecTivo. I find it very difficult to watch TV without the Tivo service.

-Robert

4. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

I went w/DirecTV after getting fed up w/Comcast. DirecTV isn't perfect, but a whole lot better.

5. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

I have had a very good experience with DirecTV. In the five or six years that I have had the service, I have only had to call CS a handful of times, and my problems were always solved rather easiy and quickly.

With my old cable company (now Comcast, formerly AT&T, formery Media One, etc.), the waits on the phone just to get some clueless CS representative who could fix nothing, were often 20 to 30 minutes. I had such a negative experience with cable that almost anything would be better, but I have to say that I have found DirecTV to be excellent. To be fair, I have not had very many real problems with the service, so my few calls to the CS people were for fairly mundane issues. The cable service, on the other hand, had chronic and continual problems, few of which were ever really solved. (Noisy picture, both overly strong and overy weak signal, outages during rain storms, etc., etc.) I may be wrong about this, but it seems to me that the whole satellite technology is more straight forward and less problematic that the cable technology (the compexity of buiding and launching a satellite not with standing). As long as you have a the dish positioned correctly, the signal is pretty much a direct shot from the bird to the dish and not much interferes with it. With cable, however, there are miles and miles of line laid out and a problem can happen any where along the system and it can be hard to figure out exactly which inch or foot or mile is causing the difficulty. At least that was my experience with it.

For what it's worth,

Deborah

6. MikeGale

MikeGale Agent

I've had DirectTV for four years and I've never had to have a serviceman come to the house. The only customer service issue was due to their changing the type of access card (to prevent piracy)-- unknown to me, they sent the new cards to the wrong address and one day I didn't have service. I called 'em, they reactivated the existing cards over the phone and sent new ones. No problems. And the satellite image is far better than what I got from cable (but this was before digital cable).

I have no idea if there's any significant difference between DirectTV and Dish.

7. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

DISH is pretty good too. On the rare occasions that I've had issues, I call their number and am talking to a tech in say 5 mins. They either explain the problem they are having, or snoop our sat box from their terminal to rectify the issue immediately. Bottom line is I have never hung up without feeling satisfied that they did (or are doing) whatever they can for me.

From what I'm reading DirecTV is very similar. Cable sucks donkeys for customer service, I think any sat provider would be better for you.

8. Kenny_H

Kenny_H Stunt Coordinator

Dish Network customer of almost 5 yrs here in NY. One of the best investments I made since dumping Time Warner cable!!! Excellent ballance of programming,service & price! I could NEVER go back to waiting on a cable technician to show up to resolve a problem!!!

9. Kevin/Da

Kevin/Da Auditioning

I've had bad experiences with AT&T Digital Cable and RCN in the past (bad service and REALLY bad customer support). DirecTV is infinitely better. Better picture, better sound, and the few times I've had to call them over the last three years, I always got someone who actually knew what they were doing! (Hold times on the phone were pretty short too.) As someone else in this thread mentioned, you can accomplish most changes to your service on their website.

The one time I had to have someone come out for a repair was to replace a burnt-out multiswitch, and they replaced it for free under the service contract even though I had bought and installed it myself.

DirecTivo is definitely a plus!

Don't have any experience with Dish, but I can definitely recommend DirecTV for reliability and customer service.

10. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

DirecTV customer service is like crack! They have always been nice to me, hooked me up with the occasional deal and will keep me coming back for years to come!

Cox Cable here in OKC can take a friggin walk, I haven't been with them for over a year. They drove me to DirecTV and about 2 weeks after that I got a DirecTivo!

11. Jim-L

Jim-L Auditioning

I'm a new Dish customer (service for the last month) and so far I am very happy. I left comcast because of poor customer service. I guess with 75% market share, many of the cable companies feel that they can sit back on this one.

As for dish, I had a few minor issues upon activation and they cleared them up for me right away. I can get someone for their technical department on the phone within minutes versus the previous 30 minute wait I would have with Comcast.

The funny thing also with Comcast is that I watch their commercials bashing the dish by saying that you will have a bad picture when it is windy, when it snows and when there is ice. We have experienced each of these in the last 30 days and have not had a problem. With our cable however, we would typically have several outages each month that were blamed on all sorts of things.

12. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Service Wise its definetely the lesser of 2 evils. Now if you are having signal issues etc, I wouldn't count on Directv to be any better. Also keep in mind you own the equipment with DTV so if it craps out its up to you to take care of it. This is something the Cable does tend to be more friendly on if you are focused on this type of service.

Then again as a DTV subscriber I haven't had any issues except on rare occasions and that is usually because of rain which is another thing Cable doesn't have to worry about.

It's a matter of what you are after. For me personally, DTV has been good. I just wish I could get my locals sometime soon....

13. David Sailor

David Sailor Agent

I just left Adelphia to go to Dish. I don't care what kind of service Dish provides because I'm sure it's going to be better than Adelphia!!! My wife usually gives me the 3rd degree when updating/changing the home theater but when I told her that I was getting rid of Adelphia she applauded. In her eyes, I'm walking on water right now. David

14. Steve Lumbert

Steve Lumbert Stunt Coordinator

I'm actually impressed with DirecTV's service. No long waits on the phone and they seem to stay on the phone with you until everything is fixed. I think their customer service is available 24 hours too.

15. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    My only beef with the sat companies is that they expect you to pay extra for what cable gives you for free - local channels and service in every room you want to put it in (I have basic cable, so I don't need a cable box). With two TVs and three VCRs, they'd nickel and dime me to death. If they ever take care of that, I'm there - their picture is definitely far superior to cable. But until then...

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

16. Kevin L K

Kevin L K Second Unit

Hi Wayne,

With 2 TVs all you'd have to pay is your monthly programming fee plus a single miroring fee of $4.99 per month--how is that nickel and diming? I don't understand how having 3 VCRs factors into it.

17. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Because I can tape cable programming on all three (via the VCR's built-in cable tuner). So I'd need five receivers to get the flexibility I get now from cable - an extra $20 a month for what I get now at no extra charge.

It was even worse before my son moved out last year - he had his own TV and VCR on top of the above - seven total in the house.

By the way, they're all high-end Super-VHS models - I'm not totally in the stone age. [​IMG]

18. Ralph Summa

Today DirecTV CS hooked me up with a $99 High Definition receiver.

THAT IS NOT A MISPRINT! [​IMG]

19. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

Ralph,

I just got hooked up on that similar deal as well. Well, I didn't get it for $99 because I'm about 3 months from being with them for 2 years, but their CS worked with me to where it was only going to be about $130. Now, they didn't have to do that, but they felt my pain as my wife wouldn't let me do HD for anything a lot more than the $99 deal. The guy got creative with me, and my HD DirectTV box is being installed this Wednesday. Overall, I would say my satisfaction rate with Direct is 99%. They did piss me off when my locals went out and I couldn't finish watching the Orange Bowl. Otherwise, very smooth sailing. Props to Direct.

20. Ralph Summa

Jon,

It was hard to pass up that deal. I think that's pretty cool that they were willing to work with you. Usually the reps work in a world of absolutes. You get it, or you don't.