What's new

Server tips for RTCW (1 Viewer)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Made some interesting discoveries today on gameFAQs and thought I would share them here. Also, after a frustrating first night in RTCW online no reason for everyone to go through that.

* Lag. Games where the people are playing on the host Xbox tend to lag really bad unless they have a great connection. You'll know lag because it will feel like your character drank 10 cups of coffee and is out of control. The best way to defeat lag is to play only on known good servers or look for 'dedicated' ones. Dedicated servers are where the host cannot play on that xbox and it just hosts for others. Don't stick around in a laggy game, it isn't worth it.

* Finding a game. So now you're going to look for dedicated servers. Be aware that RTCW counts the host xbox as 1 player, even with that person not being able to play. So if it is dedicated and it says 15/16, it is actually dead full! Don't even bother trying to get in, you will get a "server not responding" message. Similarly, 14/16 games have one spot that may/may not be open, 13/16 has 2 and so on. Try to join a green server with ~10-13 people on it. The ping won't get much worse by the time it hits 15 people and there is a good chance you'll get right in.

* In the game. If you need to vote on something, press start and look for the 'vote' option. Otherwise, the clear button helps you select/change your side, character, weapon, and chat. Just leave chat on 'general', that's all team chat.

* Check your connection before hosting. Make sure you have enough speed to host the right amount of players. Check your speed here:

http://www.dslreports.com/stest?loc=2

Reference list for smooth play: (upstream KBPS)
Below 100KBPS - DO NOT HOST
Between 100-200KBPS - 4 players MAX (2 optimal)
Between 200-300KBPS - 8 MAX (4-6 optimal)
Between 300-500KBPS - 8 to 12 MAX (test it first)
Above 500KBPS - 16 MAX!

Remember that for hosting, pretty much only upsteam speed counts.

Good luck all, see ya in the trenches!

Jason_H

Second Unit
Great tips, that explains a lot of the "Server Not Responding" messages I was getting. Thanks!

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
If you run the test you can see the graph for KBPS which is KILOBITS which is what KBPS stands for.
Generally KB (capital B) stands for Kilobytes, where as Kb or kb stands for Kilobits.

100KBps upstream would be a high requirement for most people.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
It's KILOBITS, if it was KILOBYTES you could probably host everyone in this forum lag free (if yuo had some sort of machine that could handle that workload.)

:D

James St

Supporting Actor
I'm getting 6400 kbps up. But that does me no good since I'm at work. If only I could that at home.:frowning:

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
I'm getting 6400 kbps up. But that does me no good since I'm at work. If only I could that at home.
Can't you renegotiate the benefits portion of your compensation? I'm sure "weekend server access" can worked in the fine print somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks