Server Crash

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Parker Clack, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Well today around 4:15pm CST the server crashed big time. In the process we lost both this forum area and the tweaks/connections/assecessories sections with all of the posts in those areas and they are not recoverable.

I thought that our database was being backed up but come to find out that I was wrong. It was not. So...another lesson learned and it now is.

I appologize for any inconvience that this might have caused anyone and I can only hope that this never happens again.

Parker

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Ouch! I hate when that happens.

Oh well, we get to start all over again. Should be fun.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    DOH! Well, at least it wasn't EVERYTHING. [​IMG]

4. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I agree. It could have been the whole site. Some reason we here hammered today. We had about 800 people online at the same time this afternoon when we usually run around 300 at the most.
    It seems like we have to have some sort of major screw up with HTF every few months or nobody would think that they were surfing the right place. [​IMG]
    Again, sorry about this.
    Parker

5. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

I swear I can hear the theme song to The Good, The Bad, An The Ugly playing in the background.
    Man, it's desolate in here.
    I'm surprised that no back-ups were made. That's a lesson one learns VERY quickly. [​IMG]

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Yea, it's funny?, i noticed the Receivers section was gone yesterday? Oh well, were back! [​IMG]

7. Patrick R. Sklenar

Patrick R. Sklenar Second Unit

8. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

9. TravisB

TravisB Agent

The server is equipped with RAID, which protects against the most common cause of data loss - drive failure. However, it doesn't protect against database corruption, of course.

Parker and I have communicated and set up daily database backups. However, bear in mind that it still isn't an ideal solution to problems with database corruption - typically, we'd have to restore the *entire* backup to keep referential integrity, which means rolling everything back and losing most of a day's activity!

The interesting thing is that there were only very minor problems with the database files themselves. If I had to guess, I'd say a couple key values vBulletin uses to find the forums were lost. I think for someone with detailed knowledge of vBulletin's internals, the forums could have been recovered. However, that could take a long time to do, and that's of course not a realistic option on a forum as busy as this one.

10. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Interesting that when I do a search on all forums and select the option to "show results as posts", the resulting list includes posts from threads in the lost receivers/separates/amp forum (although the forum column shows as blank for these posts). Can't get to those posts, but the urls and first few lines of the posts are shown in the search results list.

Doug

11. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

that's because of the way the vbulletin software works. The entries still exist in the search index...that is how the site is able to search so quickly. They would need to rebuild the search index to get rid of them which im sure will be done eventually, but it takes a good few hours to do and works the server pretty hard in the process.

12. Kevin Bracey

Kevin Bracey Auditioning

I suppose I'm disqualified from that SVS competition then - I'm a recent member, and my only posts have just vanished! [​IMG]