Seriously, was 2 Live Crew just ahead of their time?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Chris, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Not that I'm a fan. But having Satellite Radio, I occassionally flip through the rap stations... and it seems what airs as current rap would make 2 Live Crew blush.

Camron's "Suck it or Not" and Shawnda's "Getting Some Head" play every now and again, and oddly enough, they prefaced often with women calling in and requesting them. Follow that with top ten hits of things like "I'm in Love with a Stripper" and it makes me wonder if 2 Live Crew was just way ahead of their time.

I mean, frankly, they went to jail for "eh" music which at least had a beat; hell, half of this crap doesn't even have a beat. And I Camron's "Suck it or Not" is so over-the-top offensive that it makes me wonder where it came from. 2 Live Crew went to jail for a banty anthem called "Hey We Want Some P*(&" In comparison to these two, that's "ha-ha" funny.

2. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

It is a sad sad sad state of affairs that I must admit you have a point.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I didn't at all like 2-Live Crew but I bought a copy of Banned In The U.S.A. to show my suppourt of their, and everybody else's, right to make stupid, uncoth music.

4. Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher Second Unit

For what their music is, I think 2 Live Crew (and Uncle Luke's solo stuff as well) is certainly better than most, and while it is 'booty music' for the most part (man I haven't used that phrase since 6th grade), they did at least make better beats than most of the crap that is put out today.

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Nasty As They Wanna Be was the only rap album I ever bought, and I got it just to hear what all the fuss was about. Funny thing was I remember seeing it in the store a few months before the controversy hit and from the cover I thought it was the dumbest thing I'd ever seen on CD, since this was when CD was still considered a 'premium' format and you couldn't always get everything on it. I listened to it with headphones so my parents couldn't hear, and laughed out loud.

6. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    There was a spoof album called "2 Live Jews" released around the same time, with a song called "Kosher As They Wanna Be".

7. Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher Second Unit

My grandmother owns it on cassette, they made several albums actually, although the first release is the only remotely listenable one.

8. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

No, they were not ahead of their time. 2-Live Crew was a gimmick. They couldn't rap at all in a time where the best MCs were in their prime.

9. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

what about Kool Moe Dee with Go See the Doctor

10. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    The more I think about this, the more I think you may be onto something. I always found 2 Live Crew to be sort of half assed and with a sound that didn't seem to be complete compared to other Rap acts at the time (Public Enemy, ICE-T, etc. ), which pretty much sums up 90% of the hip hop I hear today. Content wise, mostly no difference at all.

Marks right about 2LC being crap MC's at a time when MC's were at therir prime, which is even more relavant to this discussion as most of the MC's today are mumbling bastards.

11. john-Ka

john-Ka Auditioning

I think it was way ahead of their time

12. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

I was a big fan of heavy metal back then but there was just something about what 2-Live Crew was doing to get me to buy 3 of their CDs. I think it was partially the humor in their music and partially the need to put the car stereo I had back then through its paces. They were one of the few rap groups that I listened to from time to time back then along with NWA, Eazy-E, Sir-Mix-A-Lot, Too Short and a few others. I agree that the newer stuff is really an entirely different animal that I have no desire at all to listen to.

13. AlyssaAnders

AlyssaAnders Extra

Never been a 2 Live Crew fan myself but I have never liked this type of music really but very few songs. My son (14) listens to all this crap and I can't stand it. I am only 31 and it makes me feel old that I can't be hip enough to just listen lol