Seriously need help

Discussion in 'Computers' started by blea30, Aug 12, 2006.

1. blea30

blea30 Auditioning

Aug 11, 2006
    I already have a zenith 42 in plasma tv with edtv and was just wondering what I would need to have a htpc system using this tv? I just need pointed in the right direction. I want to capture video, play music, movies, surf internet,etc. What are the major components needed?
  2. Nick:G

Nick:G Stunt Coordinator

Jun 17, 2006
    If you're thinking along the lines of a HTPC running Windows Media Center, you can do one of two things:

1. Buy a pre-configured Windows Media Center PC. HP and Sony sell a lot of these. They generally start right around $2,000.

2. Build one yourself! List of needed components:

- Motherboard, processor, and enclosure. An AMD Athlon 64 x2 (dual core) processor is definitely the best bang for the buck as opposed to a dual core Intel Pentium-D. For motherboards, my favorites are ASUS and Abit.

- At least 1 GB of RAM.

- An all-in-one video card that has a built-in tuner and video capture device. The ATI All-in-Wonder series is very highly regarded in this category and most of them come bundled with remotes. Ideally, your Zenith TV should have a VGA or DVI input on the back for the connection.

- As big of a hard drive as you can afford. I would look into at least 500 GB for HTPC use.

- Windows Media Center Edition software. You can buy an OEM (no retail packaging) copy for a little over $100 from

That should at least point you in the right direction.....