Seriously...like seriously... is Quantim Redshift worth $50

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Damien, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

I am hearing conflicting pov's on this game....keep in mind i do NOT have any of the 4 wipeout's or extreme g's, the last extreme game i had was f-zero. the thing is i rarely if ever buy games that score a 6.2(worse than LOTR) but i may make this an exception as it seems fun....but that is my question are you guys who bought it 10 days ago what do you think of it now? try to be specific...i know i will be getting thunder 2003, and either this, dynasty warriors 3, or sega gt 2002...any comparision between them would help too.

2. Mike Pattee

Mike Pattee Second Unit

Honestly I haven't had a chance to play it. I picked up robotech the day after QR, Then got the bug to play some more NFL 2k3. Then my 46" mits went out last week. Service people can't come out until this next saturday. So I haven't been playing much of anything. What I played so far I like the game a lot. I rented nascar thunder yesterday and I'm amazed how much I like the career mode on this game when I don't even watch/understand most of nascar. QR is a good game so is Sega GT. It just comes down to which style of game you want to play. I'd play nascar over the other 2 I think.

Mike

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I've enjoyed the few hours I've played of QR, but then again, I didn't pay for it.

It's definitely fast. The first two levels do NOT give an accurate representation of the speed or the "real" gameplay. At high speeds, the use & frequency of powerups is very different to the first two speed settings.

I'm a BIG fan of the PSX Wipeout games, this is more of a mixture of 2097 with the tracks of Star Wars Episode 1 Racer.

It's pretty, it's fast, it's got good enough controls... But it just doesn't quite gel with me in the way the Wipeout games do. It isn't as polished. The loading times are /just/ long enough to annoy me. The AI isn't quite as bright as it should be at the higher difficulties.

I'm enjoying it enough to allow it to distract me from other games, but I doubt I personally would pay $50 for it. I'd be happy with it at $30.

4. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

rent the game first or buy it from EB, you have a couple days to exchange it if you don't like it.

5. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

Is it just me or is the music in QR pretty dull?! I've got both of Junkie XL's albums and was hoping for some pretty kickin techno but it's all very laid back and dull...not what i'd hoped for. As for the game well it's fast and looks good but it just dont feel right, it's missing that extra something and just feels very bland to me.

6. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I was unimpressed with the game through the novice and amateur levels, because it just seemed too slow and uneventful. But boy, does it kick up a few notches after that! The speed combined with the frantic use of weapons makes this one of the most exciting games on the 'Box. If you play through the first two difficulty levels and replace the generic techno music with your own custom soundtrack, the game is definitely worth the price.

7. Mike Pattee

Mike Pattee Second Unit

When I first got it I wasn't enjoying it all that much. When I set up my own soundtrack and got rid of the craptastic one that comes with it. I liked the game a lot. I think it was a combination of getting to the higher speeds as well as better music during the racing.

Mike

8. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

9. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Jay, read his comments again - he says the first two speed levels are too slow. I feel exactly the same way. It's the third speed level that the game really kicks in at.

10. David Broome

David Broome Stunt Coordinator

I hadn't played ANY of the Wipeout or F-Zero games. My sole experience with 'futuristic Racers' was Pod Racer on the PC, which I enjoyed enough to try this one out.

After playing through each of the characters on Novice and Amateur, I am working my way through all of them on Expert and couldn't be having more fun. The few people who have come over and played it really enjoyed it as well.

Well worth my $50...

11. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

12. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

Damien, you can read my thoughts on the game here.

13. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

ok thanks a lot for the info....but i decided on sega gt 2002/nascar thunder 2003 since i was at the non-return store best buy.(i had a coupon), and that game got much more consistent reviews...but qr sounds really fun since again since i haven't played any extreme racers lately, so i will rent it in a couple of days to see if it's worth it.