What's new

Serious XP security flaw! (1 Viewer)

Kevin P

Screenwriter
One of the reasons I never buy/upgrade a MS product until at least Service Pack 1.

In the meantime, firewalls and antivirus software are must haves in this day and age.

KJP

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
One of the reasons I never buy/upgrade a MS product until at least Service Pack 1.
Wouldn't have helped much in this case. The flaw in question exists all the way back to Windows 98. I guess the media finds "XP security hole" more exciting to report than "Windows security hole." Too bad for all the 98 and ME users who think they're safe because they don't have XP.
Agreed on the firewall point, for any OS. If you don't have one, you're simply begging for trouble.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...n/MS01-059.asp
Ryan

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Windows NT and 2000 don't have this flaw. 98, ME, and XP do. Sounds like XP is less secure than 2000, at least in this case.

What gets me is so many of these exploits utilize buffer overflow bugs. Don't you think the programmers would know how to avoid writing code with such vulnerabilities in the first place, or at least make a reasonable attempt to ensure that a buffer overflow doesn't lead to a security hole? It boggles the mind.

KJP

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
On the one hand, it's a shame that this is happening, and I hope nobody got too hosed by this vulnerability.
On the other hand - it does my little Mac-using heart proud to walk down the street in Seattle and have every newspaper proclaiming in a big bold headline across the entire width of the top of the front page that XP VULNERABLE TO HACKER ATTACKS. :D

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Wouldn't have helped much in this case. The flaw in question exists all the way back to Windows 98.
Very true, but it's only a problem if you're running Universal Plug & Play (or whatever it's called)--98 and ME don't include this by default. XP does, meaning that every XP installation is vulnerable, whereas only some 98/ME installs are at risk.

In any case, I installed the patch on my Win ME box.

KJP

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
it does my little Mac-using heart proud to walk down the street in Seattle and have every newspaper proclaiming in a big bold headline across the entire width of the top of the front page that XP VULNERABLE TO HACKER ATTACKS.
It's like most software, you have to wait longer for the Mac version. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks