Serious subwoofers

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Vaughan Odendaal, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Vaughan Odendaal

Vaughan Odendaal Second Unit

Serious subwoofer

Lets talk about very expensive commercial offerings, and their performance in relation to DIY offerings.Two subwoofers, the Wilson Watchdog, and the XS are pretty expensive.$12k and $22k respectively.The Watchdog features a "very long throw" 12" driver.I wish that I knew the T/S specifications for it though.The enclosure size is 27"H, 18"W, 27"D.Its slot ported, but I have no idea what size ports its using.Also uses a 400 watt amplifier.I'm a DIY'er myself, and I believe that such expensive designs are ludicrous, but I'm still not sure what it takes to demolish such a design.

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of the Watchdog.What you guys think of this thing? Can anyone tell me what driver is featured in this subwoofer.Perhaps any T/S specifications? When we speak of DIY subwoofers, and the very high performance that is possible, its interesting to compare against these cost-no-object commercial designs.It just gives you the feeling of accomplishment.This thread is not dedicated to just comparing against the Watchdog, but I'm curious to see what it takes it outperform it.Any DIY examples would be great.Also, if possible, could you explain exactly why the performance will be better with any examples that you use.

Again, this thread would be great to find out how to beat cost-no-object commercial designs.Please use any cost-no-object commercial subwoofers for comparison against DIY designs.Thanks for listening.

Regards

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

As with most of David Wilson's designs, he's more than likely using a custom design driver that's not available to the general public.

However making something that it's equal can certainly be done at a reasonable price......

IMO 12" subs are a dime a dozen and really don't offer adequate displacement for true world class performance.

With subs it's all about displacement. Some's good, more's better, and too much is just enough.

If you're interested in a DIY no holds-barred 'portable' design look no further than HERE This sub built with either a HE-15 or Adire Tumult; and powered by the likes of a Crown K-1, will lay waste to the Wilson WatchDog at a fraction of the cost.

If portability isn't a requirement, then multi 12"s or 15"s built in an IB configuration define DIY state of the art performance. No commercially built sub is even close.

3. Vaughan Odendaal

Thanks for the comments.What do you think about the XS? What would you personally use in order to outperform it in output and extension?

Regards

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Like all Wilson designs the XS is as it's name implies 'excessive'. That being said, it's just a big ported cab loaded with a pair of AuraSound 18"s, (they are excellent drivers).

What I currently use is THIS, and I'm reasonably sure it will give the XS a run for the money

5. Vaughan Odendaal

A great IB there.Looks like it can beat any commercial subwoofer made.I understand the principles involved in IB's, and it seems like the only unbeatable route, other than a dipole ofcourse.I'm in a process of changing my cupboard into a subwoofer, so I'll probably start a new thread in the future.[​IMG]

Regards

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    When you’re talking about “serious subs,” don’t forget the benefits of proper room equalization. An equalized sub will generally outperform an unequalized sub costing two or three times as much.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt