SERIOUS QUESTION..How can we get good indy theaters in our area?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnS, Dec 23, 2001.

1. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Like most of us, we live in a city that has little or no indy/art house film theaters. Which is truly sickening and sad.
    I live in Las Vegas(MAJOR CITY) and we only have ONE
    half way decent theater that occasionaly shows indy films.
    But I for one would like to see a theater in my area like this BRATTLE THEATRE
    HOW DO WE GET OUR CITY TO BRING A THEATRE LIKE THIS TO ONE OF OUR CITIES???
    This is a serious question.
    How do we do it, w/o having a large bankroll and producing one ourselves.

2. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

3. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Yeah, I know. Las Vegas does suck, with all the entertainment businesses. but, I'm about ready to move to Boston. Just so I can go to a decent indy theater on a regular basis

4. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    I feel your pain. Here all the major screens are run by Hoyts. They won't touch an independent or "art" film but we had a total of 73 screenings a day of "Harry Potter". We do have two cinemas run by a small chain that do show those kind of films. The trouble is that they do so well that they run them for 5 or 6 weeks so we're lucky to get 8 or 9 films a year at each. The answer to your question is to support the cinemas that run those and make them very successful. Perhaps if they are, the big chains will notice what's making money in your town.
    If you can't see them on the big screen may I suggest a couple of great places you can rent them by mail. Home Film Festival (www.homefilmfestival.com) and FACETS (www.facets.com) both have thousands our "our kind" of movies and offer great service.

5. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    The residents of my town are lucky enough to have The Kalamazoo Film Society. They sponsor showings of foreign and independant films at Western Michigan University. It doesn't have the newest sound or projection system but it is nice to be able to see these films in a theater.

6. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Mark,

Last time I was in upstate New York, I thought there was a little theater in Manlius that showed art/independent films. When I was growing up, it was a regular theater - I saw The Muppet Movie there!

It might be out of your way if you're in the city, but it could be an option.

Now that I think of it, does Syracuse University offer any film series that might be open to the public?

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

you might be better off just contacting a local theater and setting something up, when I was a projectionist we showed a few indies under special arrangements. Usually they were organized by a local radio station, so they had publicity and could draw a crowd for 1 or 2 showings. One station in town had classic shows once a month, bridge over river qwai, casablanca, whatever... 1 show, 1 night.

10 plexes or larger always have one dead film that's gonna draw 5 people anyway.. I'm sure the manager would be willing to work with you if you can show them you can bring enough people.

ha ha one night they showed gone with the wind. and the assmunch that put the print together hadn't ever seen it, and the reels weren't numbered, so he put it together out of order... damn film fills almost the whole platter, boy was that fun. anyway.... I'm in a small-ish town, so who knows how that changes things for you.