What's new

Serious problem with Onkyo HELP!! (1 Viewer)

If you get the 600 and typical 5 speaker surround setup (Left, right, center, 2 surround and subwoofer) there are on screen options in the setup menu (it shows up on your TV screen if you have the video out hooked up to the TV) that gives you options for each of your non-subwoofer speakers. They are small, large and off. For the rear center speaker you would choose off. That way the receiver "knows" not to send signals to that speaker. If you put in a dvd with 5.1 or 6.1 the receiver will output like a 5.1.

You are correct that this receiver does ES and EX. Not many DVD's have this option right now. If you have a six speaker set-up then you have the option of turning ES and EX on for all DVD's, off for all DVD's or auto detect which, well, detects when a 6.1 signal is present and switches ES or EX on. If you keep ES/EX on all the time then the center channel is matrixed (i think thats the terminology). I think this means that sounds that are sent to only one surround still do so but sounds that are sent to both surrounds are mixed and sent to the rear center as well as the surrounds (someone might want to correct or clarify this for me). I personally keep ES/EX on for all DVDs and can't tell the difference.

As far as a good DVD to test with, AVIA is a home theater calibration DVD that gives you many audio options for setting up your receiver. Besides that any DVD with a THX optimizer as a menu choice will play a set of tones to test your system. One of those tones is a LFE channel. That and AVIA is what first made me think i had a problem since no sound came out when the LFE tests played but general bass sounds did. Star Wars E2 Attack of the Clones has this option, Last of the Mohican's Directors Expanded Edition also has it. Can't remember what other ones have it.

DavePL

Grip
An update:

The moderator on the other forum who's in touch with Onkyo about this problem hasn't been able to contact them yet this week cause Monday was a holiday and the big snow storm hit the east coast on Tuesday. (Onkyo's in New Jersey apparently)

I'll check tomorrow and report back

BTW, I went into my local CC here in Il. and the kid working there said he had heard something about some problems with the HTS-650 but didn't know anything about a possible resolution.

FahnonB

Grip
I also have the ht-s650 and will test tonight to see if I have the LFE prob. If I do, I will also call Onkyo. the more of us call, the better...

FahnonB

Grip
[rant]Bug confirmed!![/rant]

It also affects videogames that output a DD signal. I tried it with a couple of X-Box games and there is no bass in sub mode 3

BobMcN

Grip
I just bought a refurbished TX-SR500 from UBID about 2 weeks ago. FEDEX says they left it on my doorstep last Thursday (what's with this delivery without a signature crap ... and I had to pay $32 for shipping too!!!). Anyway, I don't have it and they're doing a trace. Likely stolen.

Could be the best mistake they made on my behalf if this bug is true. Then again, if Onkyo is willing to upgrade the purchase to an SR600 for another $50 I may want to get it back.

Enjoy,
Bob

FahnonB

Grip
Don't count on that upgrade Bob. I just called Onkyo and they said that they will have a solution posted on thier website "probably within 2 weeks". They also said that they have gotten a few calls on the matter and are investigating it.

Mark_Su

Agent
I just tested my Onkyo and I managed to get sound from my sub during Mode 3, but it sounded just as abrupt and choppy as it did in Mode 1 during the AOTC opening scene. During the THX test, I get a muted, very soft rumble from the sub in Mode 3. I take it that I'm in the minority here since I'm getting some sound instead of none? I'm using a Playstation 2 with an optical cable for sound and I purchased my HTS650 around Christmas last year.

Phil*K

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased an 797 with the infamous audio drop out problem. What outraged me the most is that I should have never been able to buy this receiver as Onkyo new about the problem and which units were affected months before I bought it. When I called the tech support they basically said tough sh1t and send it in for repair, which would have taken 6-8 wks. Luckily I was able to return it to the place I bought it from. Personally, I think this an other reported problems goes a long way in telling us the consumer just how Onkyo feels about us. The real problem is that as long as Onkyo sales are not affected they'll keep using the same tactics.

Phil

DavePL

Grip
Here's an update from another forum:

"I received a call today from Onkyo and they are sending a new board to correct the LFE problem. They are sending me to Northeastern Audio in Dunmore PA to get this fixed free of charge. She said I am the guinea pig for her and we will see how this goes. They estimate a time of 30 mins to install the new board."
"Also too they have confirmed this is a problem with some units and they are taking each case individually. So you just may receive a call soon telling you all the same news I received today."

I think this person's info was given to Onkyo by the Mod at the other forum cause he took names and serial numbers to give to Onkyo.

I'll keep an eye out at this forum to see if they give more info on how everyone else can get the fix ( if it turns out to be THE fix) or at least get a phone # to call Onkyo and talk to someone there who's aware of the problem.

DavePL

Grip
I'm having trouble posting the exact link.

You can go to hometheatrespot.com and go into the forums. Go down to the Onkyo/Integra section. It's the 2nd thread from the top.

It's kinda long so if you wanna cut to the chase just read the last page or so.

Good Luck.

DavePL

Grip
FYI...
I was in CC yesterday and noticed that the HTS650 is now priced at $522.00, up from the $499.00 that it's been since I've been looking at it for 3 or 4 weeks. :frowning:
I wonder if Onkyo's trying to make back their money from having to fix all the defective ones. :angry:
I didn't have time to ask what the deal was while I was in there so I'll go back next week and try to find out.

Shahid

Grip
Dave, it appears that this may be a CC thing. Most of the online stores (Soundcity.com for example) have not changed their prices on this - of course they may just be slow in catching up... :)

DavePL

Grip
Shahid,
Thanks, I hadn't had a chance to look at the e-tailers yet.
I think I'll print out some pages and take 'em to CC with me and see if they'll at least get it back to last week's price.
Can't hurt to try :)

Shahid

Grip
Dave, if you order from Soundcity, and the price is $499 (which includes shipping), ask the sales person if they are going to have their 'sale' on these again. For the last few months they keep switching the price back and forth from $434 (also including shipping - this is an outstanding price) and $499. Don't know if they plan to do it again, but you might just want to check (or the sales person may even give you that price). I bought mine at that price a couple of week ago (but on back-order, with a month wait).

Also, if you do buy on the net, be careful that the seller is an authorized agent. Onkyo will only honor it's warrenty if bought from an authorized agent.

Good luck.

Shahid

DavePL

Grip
Shahid,
Thanks. I ended up going to CC yesterday and talking them into getting the price back down to $499. Of course it didn't hurt that I happened to be ready to buy my Hitachi 57SWX at the same time and got a good deal on that too.:)
I appreciate the info though.

Jacqueline C

Agent
Has there been anymore news as to whether they've found a fix to the LFE problem and if they have how that affects people buying the set now? Also it you play the system NOT on mode 3, are you basically getting base on the subwoofer from the other speakers?

Thanks

Monte Montoya

Auditioning
I have the TX SR600 and I have the same problem no LFE when testing with avia and the THX setup on Attack of the clones. I have another question though, when I am listening to the test tones when it comes out on the surround it goes to both surrounds and the rear. I thought they were supposed to be discrete and play one at a time. I looked through my settings and have not found anyway to change this. Does anybody have any suggestions?
I do have all the speakers set to the right connections and in surround mode NEO:cinema.

Monte

DavePL

Grip
Monte,

This is the first I've heard of the LFE problem in the SR600. All the others have been the SR500 that came with the HT-S650.

If your having the problem with LFE AND your surrounds, you may have a larger issue with your receiver. Just a thought.

I don't know enough about the receivers to offer advice on the tone test. I tested mine with the AOTC DVD as suggested in this thread and mine worked.

Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks