What's new

Serious problem with Onkyo HELP!! (1 Viewer)

Kevin Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using Klipsch speakers & surrounds, and an Audiosource 10" sub, FYI.
The sub isn't going into standby mode, like Baldemar said, the time between scenes isn't long enough to cause mine to shut down. I tried jacking up the receiver's sub setting to +10 & it didn't seem to matter.
Mark, did you buy your unit from Onkyo directly? Is that why they're offering to swap for a different model? I don't suppose I'd be lucky enough to be able to swap one that wasn't bought through their website.
Isn't this fun?:rolleyes

Baldemar Garcia

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

In case you don't know, the subwoofer calibration in AVIA is done using the processor's bass management, not the dedicated LFE channel. That's why you see the difference. It sounds like there's definitely something wrong with the decoder in this Onkyo. Has anyone noticed if this problem affects dts soundtracks too?

Yes I bought mine directly from Onkyo and am still within the 30 day return period. I would really suggest either calling them or using the feedback option at the very bottom of the support page. The more voices they hear the better chance we all have of getting this resolved.

I was not aware of how the AVIA disk worked behind the scenes. I just know it wouldn't output sound during the LFE calibration test. Thanks for the info.

I'll keep you all posted on how my interactions with the Onkyo folks go.

Mark

Kevin Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator
I just submitted a complaint to Onkyo via the feedback form, and included a URL of this discussion. I'm not holding my breath, though. Feedback forms via e-mail usually take forever to get a response, IMHO.

ChristopherBer

Stunt Coordinator
I think the people with problems with the SR-500 reciever should also ask HTS650 owners since it is the same exact reciever. I don't seem to notice any problems though.

Kevin Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, you mentioned you were running your system with the sub in MODE 2, which diverts the bass from the center & surrounds, right? How does it work in MODE 3?

Bill**H

Stunt Coordinator
I own the HT-S650 that has the HT-R500 receiver. I also get no sound output from the Subwoofer when the receiver is set Mode 3. I tried all the crossover settings also. But, I still get the LFE output when set to Mode 1. I watched Blade last night and the Bass is there for sure. I run a Sony SA-WM40 Sub. Do I have a problem? With Mode 3 it's yes, I think?? When in Mode 1 I think, no??
What do you think???

Bill,

I also get sound in Mode 1. The background bass sounds fine, but when what I think is a LFE comes over I get an abrupt burst of bass that is distracting. In Mode 3 I get no background bass (so no sound most of the time) but I do get that burst when a LFE is supposed to be playing. Mode 2 seems to be a compromise between the two. Changing the crossover frequencies didn't do anything for me.

Bill, I don't think its working for you either. Mode 1 only plays the bass from the other 5 speakers, not the LFE channel. So the bass your getting isn't the very low part of the digital track, only the bass crossed over and sent to the sub from the other channels. You would be able to tell a big difference if you were able hear the LFE track and compare.

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
Mike,
You've pretty much nailed it with the bass management flaw in this receiver. I noticed it the first day during setup it won't play the LFE test tones from either video essentials or avia test discs. I am amazed no one else reported this flaw sooner. The receiver has been out for months now and I read the C-net review , all of the audio review and circuit city website reviews and everybody has given the thumbs up on this model.
I also own onkyo 656 and a 676 model receivers and wasn't expecting too much as these receivers listed for $800 when new. I bought my sr500 for a bedroom receiver but may end up using it in my computer room in my two channel system.
What onkyo is selling here is a 5.0 receiver, some people will be able to live with it in subwoofer mode 1, but I personally want the .1 in a 5.1 receiver. This box chokes on the LFE channel. A serious design flaw that onkyo should aknowledge and address but most likely won't.
Chris

Kevin Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator
How long has this receiver been on the market? It's ironic that I bought it just about the same day that people here started reporting problems with it.

I still haven't heard anything back from Onkyo. No big surprise...I may try calling them this weekend. Has anybody tried the SR600 receiver, just out of curiosity? I no longer trust any of the reviews I've read online!

Marcus Ryle

Auditioning
Hey guys, I own this receiver as well, got it the month it came out (May 2002 I believe). I've never tried Mode3 ... but will tonight. Maybe it will give insight as to whether this results from newer yield units ... or has been present since it's initial release. Please continue to post your findings and any feedback from Onkyo. I love the unit, but have no tolerance for known major design flaws released to consumers. And we all know there is no way something this big SLIPPED past Q/C.

Onkyo is replacing mine with the SR600 for $50. I have $28 in "Onkyo Points" that they will subtract from that. Seems fair I think. At least that's what they told me. They have not emailed me my return authorization number yet, so we'll see.

Mark

Kevin Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats, Mark. Did they actually admit there was a problem with the 500 series, or did they just offer to upgrade you to make you a "satisfied customer," or some non-specific general statement?

I'm starting to think a lot of people out there have just left the subwoofer in Mode 1, and haven't noticed a problem. Especially if it's their first 5.1 receiver, which is probably the case with a lot of owners. Onkyo didn't count on us thrifty nitpickers to uncover the receiver's flaws.

ChristopherBer

Stunt Coordinator
I am starting to think I only hear the bass of my subwoofer because my system is a Bose :eek:. Didn't really wanna say that but anyway I think it is because the Bose bypasses all the reciever settings which in result the subwoofer modes don't really affect it too much.

The person i talked to was in the sales dept and didn't seem to know much of the technical stuff so she really couldn't comment on the problem. One rude tech i talked to said that if there was a problem they'd be getting lot's of calls and he hadn't gotten any (well they got at least one now!). So no, they have not admitted to a problem. Maybe if i pressed harder I would have gotten a better deal and explanation but at this point i just want something that works. As of 5:45 eastern time I still have not gotten a return authorization number that they promised, so we'll See if they follow through.

Marcus Ryle

Auditioning
Well, they're about to get another call. I have the same problem. Used the THX test tones from Pearl Harbor video ... on mode 3 ... all channels OK until you get to the LFE channel. DangIT!!!!!

Bill**H

Stunt Coordinator
For those of us that might be able to exchange our receivers, what should we be looking at? Another Onkyo, Denon, Harman Kardon or Pioneer at around $600 or less?

hmmmmmm, three direct emails (not to the general feedback address but to a real person) and a message left on that persons voice mail regarding our agreed upon exchange and not a peep from Onkyo since Friday. Still no return authorization number or any other info from them as to what I should do. I've got a bad feeling about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks