What's new

Serious Problem With NAQOYQATSI DVD! (1 Viewer)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
That's an interesting obsevation, Ryan. I wasn't there for the premiere with Godfrey Reggio (I went later in the run) and the stretching, from what you're saying, is intentional. It's just very strange that watching it in full-frame 4x3 mode (with the player set in 16x9 mode) produces an absolutely "normal"-looking image, albeit one that's full-frame-only.

Was this at one point destined to be TV only?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It was always intended as a theatrical film.

Apparently the stretching is an artistic decision on the directors part so I have no problem with it.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I have no idea what Reggio was thinking when he decided to present it this way, but the original stretched presentation is downright annoying! I simply watched it unstretched.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I'm stll not convinced that the stretching was intentional. Although I certainly could be wrong, I just don't remember it being that way in the theater.

Anyone here anykind of official word on whether or not this transfer is defective?

JimmyK

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
I never saw the film in a theater, but I can confirm that all the shots in the trailer are stretched. I agree that it looks like a mistake, but on the other hand, it's rather difficult to imagine that both the trailer and the DVD could be released with the same distorted picture without anyone involved noticing it.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I never saw the film in a theater, but I can confirm that all the shots in the trailer are stretched. I agree that it looks like a mistake, but on the other hand, it's rather difficult to imagine that both the trailer and the DVD could be released with the same distorted picture without anyone involved noticing it.
Is that trailer on the same disc, or are you refering to the trailer on the previous title (can't think of the name off hand)?

I ask because I often notice that anamorphic titles will have trailers that are non anamorphic and appear stretched in full mode.

Feel free to correct me if I'm on the wrong track here.:)

JimmyK

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
Jimmy,

RyanM said earlier:

I should also note that the stretching was noticable at a screening I attended this summer at the New Beverly cinema and can also be seen in the trailer, which you can download off of Apple's trailer site or view on the Koy/Pow discs.
I can't check the discs right now because my TV is in the repair shop. :frowning: But here's the link to the one on Apple's site.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
When in Best Buy yesterday, I looked at the back of the cover for this title and noticed there were a few pictures from some scenes and they appeared stretched. I didn't buy it, however, because they wanted $24 for it and I'm still waiting to make sure it's not defective.

From the postings here, it's looking like perhaps the stretched look was intentional?

JimmyK

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So....What some of you are saying is 'to hell with the directors artistic decision, I'm watching this film the way I want to watch it!'?

4x3???...Yikes! Hypocrisy rears it's ugly head;)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
it's not as if we're cutting information from the sides.

rather to save our eyes, so to speak.

looks rather fine NORMAL looking.

truth be told, I then switched to JUST mode. fill the screen!

I'd rather just listen to the music. the visuals were simply not arresting.

watching in 16x9 made it look truncated.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
it's not as if we're cutting information from the sides.

rather to save our eyes, so to speak.
Whoa!

So, are you saying that since you are not "cutting information from the sides" anything else that you do that might distort the image from the original is ok?

"Save our eyes"??! From what? What the Director intended you to see?!

:confused:

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
becoming stretched :D

why should I force myself to watch I know is incorrect.

it's like playing a game only in defence, expecting to win.

ILLOGICAL.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
There is NO problem with the DVD.

A friend of mine in LA knows someone who worked on the film and confirmed that it is transferred correctly. The stretching IS intentional and is shown as it was theatrically.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Sorry I came to this thread so late. I could have answered some of the questions.

The DVD is, in all likelihood, not incorrect. (I don't have it yet). That's the way this movie was presented theatrically.

I was at a pre-release screening for this film where the directors held a Q&A after the showing. Naturally, I got up and asked, "What's with the stretched image in sections?" After congratulating me for having an "eagle eye" :confused: they explained that they had thought about this a lot and, since so much of the imagery was mixed (anamorphic and non) that rather than switching back and forth (which would have detracted from the presentation) they decided to keep the non-anamorphic stuff stretched.

Frustrating, yes - but remember they were on a very limited budget and this was not something they could deal with and still get the thrid part of the trilogy released.

Hope this helps.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Thanks for the info, Robert.

I feel more confortable purchasing this title now that it's apparent that the stretching was intentional.

Now if I could just find a good price on this title!

JimmyK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks