What's new

Serious newbie needing serious setup help. (1 Viewer)

TJNEAL

Auditioning
Real Name
Neal
Hello...Sorry, first post here and looking for some help. Hopefully someone will be patient enough with me...As I have no idea what I'm doing!

Alright, here's my situation...

I currently own:

Samsung 32" LCD HD TV
YAMAHA HTR-5920 HTIB
Rogers Digital Cable Receiver (soon to be a HD PVR Box)
Toshiba SD-4990 up converting DVD player
Xbox 360
PS2
3DO

Currently...I have everything hooked up to my Samsung TV and an optical cable going from the TV to my Yamaha receiver. I don't think this is hooked up correctly because I am unable to use DTS with my PS2, Xbox 360, DVD player or TV.

Now, I'm aware that I need to have each device connected through my receiver...Although, I only have one optical and one coax input on my receiver...

I do have a connection switch, which allows up to 4 component, composite, S-Video connects with optical audio outputs.

I would assume that I will need to have an optical cable for each device running to that switch and then another going from the switch to the receiver? That's a lot of cables!

Also, I can't decide whether or not to connect all of my devices directly to my TV or to my receiver? Once I get that switch setup I will be able to connect all of my gaming systems to the switch, and then to my receiver and then use my Samsung TV as an output monitor...Would that be the best way to setup?

Finally, My DVD player is connected via an HDMI cable directly to my TV. My receiver doesn't have an HDMI input...So, is it even possible for me to get digital surround sound from my DVD Player??

I'm sorry...There are so many questions here and I hope I explained myself well enough.

Please, if anyone can offer any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Oh, also...Very stupid question I'm sure...However, my Digital cable box only has a coax digital audio output. However, the only spot on my receiver for a coax output is under the DVD input...So, I would need to run the cable through the DVD output on my receiver...Is there any way to connect a coax to an optical input? Or, would it even matter??

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
That's the Problem with HTIB's. There's no way to hook everything you have without adding Expensive External Switching Devices etc. You'd be better off getting a Real Surround Receiver with enough inputs to accommodate all of your equipment. With enough external switchs and Cables you will get everything hooked up, but it's going to be a nightmare to operate.

If you are sticking with this setup what is the make/model of the Switch you mentioned?

The Cable box Coax Digital out can be converted to Optical. You'll need another device.. an Coax to Optical converter.

By the time you are done buying all the necessary Cables, Switches and Converters you could buy a entry level receiver for less than you will spend "Making" this work.

A Receiver like this would cost (new) about $500. and be way less hastle in the long run...

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Actually Steve, the HTR-5920 is a receiver... :)

Neal,

It’s difficult to help since I can’t find an on-line manual for your Yamaha. They used to archive discontinued models, but they recently reworked their site and either ditched that section, or I just can’t find it.

However, from what I can see from the HTR-5930, the latest edition of your receiver, you don’t have enough inputs for all the stuff you have – at least not enough digital inputs. That’s one of the cardinal rules to look out for when you go receiver shopping: Make sure it has enough inputs for the components you have, or intend to have in the near future.

Yes, connect the DVD player’s other digital output – coax or optical – to the receiver.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Here's the Manual Wayne.

The Coax and Optical are not assignable and there is only one of each. TV is Optical and DVD is Coax.

http://www.yamaha.ca/av//PDFs/Receiv...HTR5920_en.pdf See Page 14 of the Manual.

Don't compare the 5930 to the 5920. The available inputs are not the same.

As I ways saying if you are going to use the inputs as they are marked You'll have to do some fancy wiring and try to remeber what's hooked up throught what. Like Wayne is saying you'll have to share one of your digital inputs with a digital input switch. It's going to be hard for anyone not knowing your system to operate (including yourself). If you want to keep the Optical open to use your switch you will have to use the DVD input for your Cable.

Hook your switch to the TV Optical and You'll have to use the switch to switch between everything else.

Just remember if going that route to listen to Cable you have to go to the "DVD" input.

and for everything else you'll be on the TV Input for your DVD, Xbox 360, PS2, 3DO. and Change that via the switch.

At least that way given the Cable only has Coax out your wouldn't need the Coax to Optical converter.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Thanks for the assistance, Steve. Did you find a discontinued products section, and if so could you PM me? If not a link to that manual archive will do.

Thanks,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

TJNEAL

Auditioning
Real Name
Neal
Hey guys...Thanks for all the suggestions...Hah...What I did though was take the Yamaha back to Best Buy...I'm within my 30 days.

I ended up buying a Sony HT-DDW900...It has HDMI support and more than one optical and coax audio outputs...Hopefully it works a lilttle better!

I know to post on here if I have any problems!

Thanks again!

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Not a Problem!.. Gotta love those Favorite bookmarks... I could start a whole website just with links from my IE Favorites

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks