series wiring?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by allan espinoza, Jul 4, 2002.

1. allan espinoza

allan espinoza Stunt Coordinator

i was wandering i could connect two speakers to one channel using series wiring. each speaker rated at 8ohm, if so what would i set the ohm out on the receiver to? im not too familiar with this type of connection so i would like some info on it if any and is it safe? will it heat up my receiver more or will i loose any sound from either speaker? please any tips would help thanks

2. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

Allan
    Series wiring of two 8 ohm speakers will give you
    a 16 ohm setup. I don't think it could hurt your receiver
    but your speakers wont play as loud ( I think ).
    I would try wiring them parallel. It will bring the
    impedance down to 4 ohm . More demanding on your
    receiver but the sound will be better.
    Any ways this is just what I think and I am no
    expert. Better wait for the advise of more experienced
    members.
    Robert[​IMG]

3. Andrew S

Andrew S Stunt Coordinator

Wiring two 8 ohm speakers in series (from what I understand) will give a total impedance of 16 ohms and the power will be divided between the two speakers. Wiring the same speakers in parallel will give a total impedence of 4 ohms, and the channel's total power will go to each speaker.
    That's all I can add.. if I added anything at all... hopefully I didn't just repeat the above post [​IMG]
    Andrew

4. brucek

brucek Second Unit

Allen,
    Well, the idea of wiring speakers in series is usually not a very good idea. Two 8 ohm speakers in series is effectively 16 ohms that the amplifier sees. Less of a load.
    Putting two speakers in series, effectively divides the maximum voltage (from your output stage) that you can develop across each speaker, in half.
    This doesn't unfortunately divide the power dissipated by each by half, but by about a quarter of what the single speaker dissipated because power is the square of the voltage divided by resistance.
    Simply put, the volume will be a lot lower with two speakers in series and you'll have to turn it up significantly to get the same volume. When you do this, you are feeding more noise floor - not enjoyable.
    Distortion can easily also be added to the resulting sound because both series speakers can have a different impedance/frequency curve if they're not a matched set. This impedance imbalance will upset the voltage that would have dropped across each individual speaker if they were used alone. You will alter the response of the system.
    Alternatively, If you hook them in parallel the resulting lower impedance (now 4 ohms) will likely put a strain on your amplifier if it's not designed to drive low impedance loads. This will show itself in the form of heat and then thermal shutdown if the amp is pushed beyond its thermal threshold.
    Probably better to stick with one speaker. [​IMG]
    brucek

5. Joseph_W

Joseph_W Stunt Coordinator

Allan,
    Sounds like your receiver may have a 4/8 ohm switch in the back. You should be able to put the speakers in parallel (not series) and be OK. This is how the older receivers handled a second set of speakers (A/B). They had 8 ohm and 4 ohm switches in them. If you had 4 ohm speakers, the connection was series, if you had 8 ohm the connection was parallel.

Watch the heat, though. If you are planning to push the receiver real hard, this may not be the best idea.

Joe

6. allan espinoza

allan espinoza Stunt Coordinator

thanks for everyone's help but im afraid of damaging my receiver or over heating it i may just stick to how it is. does anyone know or has anyopne ever tried doing this?