Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jim_W, Jan 30, 2002.

1. jim_W

jim_W Stunt Coordinator

Mar 15, 2001
    ok, here's the question. i am looking for the optimal way to wire 2 front speakers to each of my front channels. i am running bi-wire to the first speaker(speakerA) and the second speaker(speakerB) is not bi-wirable. speakerA is rated for [email protected], speakerB is rated for [email protected] the reciver is driving them at [email protected] not sure if the reciever is capable of driving a 4ohms safely. ok, here is the way i am thinking is the optimal way to hook it up: from REC+ to SPKR-A+(both high and low inputs-because bi-wire), from SPKR-A+(low input)to SPKR-B+, same running from (-) sides of REC/SPKR-A/SPKR-B. so, now i am running them in parallel, and they should be pulling 4 ohms rather than 8 and double the wattage, correct? to bring the ohms back to 8 (to ensure safety to both reciever and speaker), would i connect SPKR-A- to SPKR-B+ to have them running in parallel/series to cancel out each other and run and the same ohms and wattage???

thanks in advance, and i hope this makes sense...
  2. brucek

brucek Second Unit

Dec 29, 1998
    First you have to realize that what you propose will place a dead short across your receivers speaker output terminals. This obviously is a bad idea.

Secondly, if wired correctly, whether you wire two speakers in series or parallel, you will never end up too joyful. The fact is , the idea of wiring speakers in series or parallel is not a very good idea.

Let me explain.

Two 8 ohm speakers in series is effectively 16 ohms that the amplifier sees. Less of a load.

Putting two speakers in series, effectively divides the maximum voltage you can develop across each speaker in half.

This doesn't unfortunately divide the power dissipated by each by half, but by about a quarter of what the single speaker dissipated because power is the square of the voltage divided by resistance.

Simply put, the volume will be a lot lower with two speakers in series and you'll have to turn it up a lot more to get the same effective volume. When you do this, you are feeding more noise floor - not enjoyable.

Distortion will also be added to the resulting sound because both series speakers can have a different impedance vs frequency curve if they're not a matched set. This impedance imbalance will upset the voltage that would have dropped across each individual speaker if they were used alone. You will alter the response of the system - not enjoyable.

Alternatively, If you hook them in parallel, the resulting lower impedance load (now 4 ohms) will likely put a strain on your amplifier if it's not designed to drive low impedance loads. This will show itself in the form of heat and then thermal shutdown if the amp is pushed beyond its thermal threshold. Again - you won't enjoy this.

Probably better to stick with one speaker per amplifier output channel. Most people seem to think that adding "more" speakers will somehow help. You're far better to get a single speaker of higher quality. Generally more quantity does not equal more quality.