What's new

Series finales (1 Viewer)

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
Cliffhanger that made me so mad...

The remake of The Fugitive, the one with Tim Daly. There was a confrontation between Kimbal, Girard, and the one-armed man. The OAM fired his pistol and it was clear that either Kimbal or Girard had been hit. The screen fades to black and the series was not picked up in the fall.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm the only one who liked the Roseanne finale. :b

Maybe it was because I was such a huge fan of the show and the last season was SO stupid that the finale's explanation (about the last season being made up in Roseannes mind) helped me to not hate the last season as much as I did.

In certain respects, the last show could have been done better. Roseanne's Voice Over was bad and showed no emotion, it was like she was reading off of a piece of paper, but I've also told myself that she was writing this all in a book, so maybe it was supposed to sound like she was reading it that way (i.e. without emotion).

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Regarding the Seinfeld Finaly....

Really, there was no way for them to end it like other comedies because it was really about nothing, there was no dramatic ending because the show had zero, there was no happy ending because the show wasn't like that. Were the characters supposed to give their love and move on? Of course not. Seinfeld is one of the few shows that had no feelings(Simpsons and Family Guy are others) so there was no way for them to tap into any love, drama, of anything of the sort.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I'm still miffed by the finale to 'Benson.'

Benson had run against the Governor, and they waited in the kitchen for the results. Just as they were about to be announced, cut to black.

Grrrrrr.

Brett_H

Second Unit
Ken,

Can you (or anybody else) refresh my memory on how this ended? I thought it was just not renewed... was there an actual finale?

Thanks,
-Brett.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Sports Night: CSC is bought by another company which is more committed to it, Sorkin gets his "anyone who can't make money off of SportsNight should get out of the money-making business" line off, and things basically look good for everybody. No definite conclusion, but everything felt good, with nothing dangling.

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
I loved the TNG finale. I missed the DS9 finale, both times it aired! I'm hoping to catch it on DVD soon.

Cheers was good. Having Diane back was cool and as the show ended, we knew everything would be back to normal the next day. The nod to Coach at the end was nice.

Seinfeld. Loved it at the time. I recorded it as it aired but have never watched that tape again. I've only seen it again in it's much shortened syndication version and it's not very good that way.

Mad About You. Excellent. Saw it again on Lifetime a few months ago and it holds up pretty well. It seems the show was at it's best when Paul and Jamie had problems.

Sex and the City. Pretty good, but Carrie ended up right back where she was when the show started. Is she the eternal single gal perhaps? Of course, Big selling his house in Napa and moving back to NY is a very big gesture. Something he never would have done before, so I think there's a future there.

Friends. We all know Joey is moving to LA, but I hope the finale is not much more than a typical episode. I don't want to see everyone move away and have major life-changing events. Of course, Monica and Chandler will get the baby in the finale but I hope it stops there.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Be glad Earth 2 wasn't renewed because NBC was planning a major revamp that wouldn't have left some fans happy at all

Be Seeing you,
David Blackwell

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Dark Angel finale didn't really work either. While it had the fortune of a 2 season run and the finale was solid it had way too many unanswered questions/problems.(of course I am probably the only person that is stil pissed off that it got cancelled)

Firefly of course didn't even get a chance to get started so no need to bitch about that one since we all tend to feel the same way.(talk about a screw job)

Barney Miller & M*A*S*H .... ahhhh now there were 2 very nice finales :emoji_thumbsup: !

Greg

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I was doing some research and came across a synopsis of the finale of "Who's the Boss".

I like these episodes (like the Cheers finale) where the show does a nod to the very first episode. The first episode of Who's the Boss showed Tony showing up on the doorstep of Angelas house where she told him he had the job. The finale ended the same way, where Tony shows up at the doorstep, but this time he's wearing a tuxedo (hinting at an engagement) and Angela (wearing the same outfit as in the first episode) says the same thing she said in the first episode. "You got the job".

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I loved the second season finale of Dark Angel, and I wish FOX hadn't cancelled it. I think it would have been better to have it around for a third season instead of FOX picking up the horrible Fastlane (what were they thinking when they saw the pilot because Craig Sheffer was the only good thing abiout the pilot).

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

Don Black

Screenwriter
The primary story arc of the Friends finale has to be about Ross/Rachel. It's the heart of the show. Sure, everyone will get equal on-screen time, but fundamentally their relationship is what centered the show.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I don't watch most shows long enough to even care about the series finale, but I remember "Dallas":
A two-hour "what if?"-themed special where an angel/devil like figure shows JR how the Ewings would have lived had he not been born. Pretty good, but dragged on.

My favorite is probably "Cheers". The series finale of Seinfeld was a major disappointment at the time, but I've seen it in syndication a bunch of times and it's grown on me.

/Mike

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The Monday night show. The show names got shorter: his first show was "The Bob Newhart Show" as the psychiatrist, then it was "Newhart" as the inn-keeper, and then "Bob" as something else (didn't last long). I guess Newhart and St. Elsewhere had similar ideas for the twist, but since St. Elsewhere was supposed to be taken seriously, some people didn't like it. I thought it was interesting -- maybe the first such twist?

So Roseanne was just like Bobby on Dallas, but for the entire show?

On Felicity, she did "in fact" time travel, somehow. That was the neat thing about it, that a plain old teen drama would do something like that. And it was done well.

With TNG, maybe they could have done more with Q, but the episode itself was entertaining and you got to see the futures of the characters.

The problem with Seinfeld's was that it just wasn't funny.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Tony, I had royally screwed up that post. I went back and edited it, I hope it makes more sense now.

Felicity ends with the revelation that she is actually from a future 10 or 20 years away. Or something like that. AFAIK, it was definitely unexpected.

I don't think it has any bearing on the show, more like a gimmick at the end.

Anyway, I am sure someone who has actually followed the show can tell you more.

--
H

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
If I remember correctly... it was like this.

Episode 4.17 had them graduating. 4.18 skipped ahead a month or a few or something... where Ben cheats on Felicity. Felicity, thinking she made the wrong choice in picking Ben, decides to try to go back in time to be with Noel. It appears to work and she's back at the beginning of the 4th season. She tries to get Noel, but things keep pushing her back to Ben (he's yet to cheat... so he's not sure why she hates him). After Noel dies in a fire he originally survived... Felicity seeks out a man who can send her back to the way things were. This sets up a nice clip show kind of thing where she points out the main parts of the series. She goes to sleep near Ben saying she's glad she picked him...

When she wakes up she finds that it was all fixed... and Noel is still alive. Felicity forgives Ben and they all attend Noel's wedding... happy and all still friends.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Please tell! I wondered in another thread why producers or writers of cancelled shows don't produce an extra (whether stills of their notes/treatments, interviews, or in commentary) telling fans where they wanted to go with the show had it been picked up: I was referring mainly to Space: Above & Beyond, but the comment applies equally to Earth 2.

So what did they have in mind?

James T

Screenwriter
I keep missing the Roseanne finale and I have to wait months for the repeat on TBS. But from what I read, it sounds pretty decent.

My favourite finale is Quantum Leap. It sums everything up, ties up a few loose ends and ends with a few tears. That is one of my favourite episodes as well as favourite finales.

The Buffy finale seemed like a letdown. I know there was this big epic battle, but I was expecting soemthing more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks