What's new

Sergeant Rutledge (1 Viewer)

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I just watched an almost pristine copy of this splendid film on TCM. It is a film that is so underrated in John Ford's repertoire. I had not seen it in years, but watching it with such a magnificent restoration effort, I was hanging on basically every scene. I found myself rewinding certain scenes, as they were leaving such an impression. Woody Strode's speech at the end, while on the witness stand, is acting at it's finest. I normally always delete films from the DVR after watching them, but this one I couldn't delete. I think I'll probably watch it again this weekend, just to take in the top-notch directorial and acting skills on display. This truly had to be John Ford's last masterful outdoor western saga.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Terrific film. I got to know Mr. Strode a bit, and found him to be a wonderfully intelligent gentlemen, with a great sense of what acting demanded.

Plus, in reality, Woody Strode would have beat the hell out of Jock Mahoney in "Tarzan's Three Challenges" (and I do like Mr. Mahoney) !

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just watched an almost pristine copy of this splendid film on TCM. It is a film that is so underrated in John Ford's repertoire. I had not seen it in years, but watching it with such a magnificent restoration effort, I was hanging on basically every scene. I found myself rewinding certain scenes, as they were leaving such an impression. Woody Strode's speech at the end, while on the witness stand, is acting at it's finest. I normally always delete films from the DVR after watching them, but this one I couldn't delete. I think I'll probably watch it again this weekend, just to take in the top-notch directorial and acting skills on display. This truly had to be John Ford's last masterful outdoor western saga.
Earlier this month, I bought the HD Digital copy from iTunes and thought it looked very good. A film that was quite bold considering the subject matter and its times. Also, my HD Digital copy migrated over to Vudu too.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Plus, in reality, Woody Strode would have beat the hell out of Jock Mahoney in "Tarzan's Three Challenges" (and I do like Mr. Mahoney) !
Too right, to say nothing of wiping the floor with Kirk Douglas in Spartacus. As he said himself, you need a serious suspension of disbelief to think Douglas would have stood a chance.

Count me in for Sergeant Rutledge on BD; a brilliant film.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Mr. Strode was a resident, in his later years, of my home town of Glendora.
Saw him once years ago in Denny's coffee shop chatting with a group. I regret not joining in the conversation. Always been a fan.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I just noticed that TCM is showing this film on 1/15. I highly recommend everyone set their DVR's!
Thanks Jim for the heads up on that...I've set my DVR and hope to see Sergeant Rutledge looking better than ever...I see TCM is showing the 1951 film The Jackie Robinson Story just ahead of it, with Jackie playing himself, naturally...appropriate also as Woody Strode and Jackie Robinson were childhood friends...and team mates on the 1940 UCLA Bruins Football squad...Woody Strode is a big part of my hometown's sports lore...Woody played WR and DB on the Calgary Stampeders 1948 Grey Cup Canadian Football League Championship team...another longtime friend of Woody and Jackie was Ezzret "Sugarfoot" Anderson, who also played for the Stampeders, and upon retiring, lived out the rest of his life in Calgary...passing away just a few years ago at age 97...I was only a baby at the time, but can Imagine the excitement in my hometown in the winter of 1956 when Jackie Robinson visited his friend Sugarfoot Anderson...bringing along Woody Strode in his return to Calgary...all three of them making personal appearances and signing autographs...huge crowds turned out for this...just mere months after Jackie led the Brooklyn Dodgers to win the 1955 World Series...

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Mr. Strode was always one of my favorite character actors. Such a shame that his last role was a throwaway, blink and you'll miss it, cameo in The Quick and the Dead. He deserved a much better send off.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Mr. Strode was always one of my favorite character actors. Such a shame that his last role was a throwaway, blink and you'll miss it, cameo in The Quick and the Dead. He deserved a much better send off.
He was only a character actor because of hollywood racism. He absolutely deserved to be a superstar and in more enlightened times undoubtedly would have been. Though he was mostly relegated to supporting or minor roles, the reality is that his mere presence automatically elevated any production he appeared in. Much like Paul Robeson and many others before and after, he achieved a large measure of success despite the era he endured. Always imposing yet unassuming, multi-talented and much missed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks