Serendipity: Possible Glitch with the Credits' Text using RP91 Panasonic????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph S, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. My DVD Player is a Panasonic RP91.
    On the credits of "Serendipity" the text suddenly starts jumping/stuttering. The music remains continuous and there is zero interruption in it. The text seems to scroll fine in FastForward/Rewind mode. I'm wondering if the credit font is causing a weird glitch with my DVD Player. Seeing as this is a common DVD player in this forum, I'm guessing maybe the other two buyers of Serendipity may have noticed or not noticed this?? [​IMG]
    Thanks.

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

My rented copy of Serendipity glitched and froze on the end credits, on a Sony DVP-S9000ES. If I fast forwarded, it would resume, but then freeze a few seconds later. I wrote it off to a smudge/scratch on the disc, but the disc looked clean upon inspection. The rest of the movie played perfectly.

KJP

3. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

4. MaxY

MaxY Guest

I don't think this is a player related problem.

I watched it in the bedroom the other night on a Sony 650 5 disc changer.

Though my player did not pause, it did seem like the credits in the transfer were kind of jumpy and un stable while the soundtrack was fine.

Max

5. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I just watched Serendipity on a JVC XV-D723 and I experience the same problem.

The credits jitter up as the music plays fine, but it only happens for about a nimute

6. Kevin Fox

Kevin Fox Stunt Coordinator

Same problem on my Toshiba SD-3109 last Monday night. Because the soundtrack had no such problem, I wondered if it was intentional (sort of like the end credits of Moulin Rouge), but I couldn't think of a convincing reason why the filmmakers would do it. It definitely appears to be an actual mastering defect and not player-related.

7. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

I had a feeling it wasn't just my disc. Normally when the disc is bad the video pixelates and the audio cuts in and out. This time the audio was uninterrupted and there weren't any pixelations. I guess there's no point in returning it at this point, since all copies will have the same issue. Hopefully, Disney will correct it eventually. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

8. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Saw this in the theater and any effects at the end I don't think were intentional (at least not that I remember). Still haven't had a chance to watch my copy on my RP91 but will try to spin it up tonight.

It's only on the end credits? Not on any part of the movie?

9. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Carlo,

The movie is perfect throughout, but immediately after the credits begin the video begins to jump.

-Chad

10. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

11. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Disney has been using the multi-angle feature for awhile now to present credits in different languages. The only way to see the difference is to select the alternate language from the main menu before you start the movie.

My guess is that this is what's causing the problem. I saw a slight hiccup at the beginning of the end credits on a rented copy of "Pearl Harbor." Other Disney titles have been smooth for my Sony DVP-S300.

I think we may want to begin raising this issue with Disney so their people can find a better way to author the DVDs.

12. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Just to echo the other statements: I saw it on my Panny 5-DVD changer as well. From my review:

"I did note one odd problem with my copy of Serendipity. During the end credits, the picture became jerky and the names did not scroll past in a smooth manner. I thought that something might be wrong with my DVD, but the sound showed no blips, and in my experience, when one has a defective disc, the two usually go hand in hand. Frankly, I expect the problem does reside in my particular copy and not the encoding itself, but I wanted to mention this issue in case it came up for others."

13. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

glitch also on my Onkyo 555.

14. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Well, if you have anything to say to Disney...There is a toll-free # and an email and they *do* listen to customer feedback.
    BTW, have all of you called and emailed Disney yet telling them that just like thousands of other DVD collectors out there you don't want them to offer P/S only DVDs...like several announced titles including Muppets Treasure Island?
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...568#post613106
    So, if you want to have the credits work properly on 16x9 WS DVDs that aren't Panned and Scanned-only...
    CALL THEM.
    -dave

15. Marty Christion

Marty Christion Stunt Coordinator

David's right. In addition to posting here, you should call or email Disney, so they can fix it.

16. Rick Deschaine

Rick Deschaine Stunt Coordinator

Just wanted to say, I've got the same problem on my Panasonic DV-37. I was hoping this was a bad batch of discs, but it sounds like all the discs are bad.

17. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Just to confirm, same problem on my new-firmware (Oct 2001) RP91.

Anyone hear back from BV?

18. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

Same problem with my SD-4700. I'm at least glad it's not my player.

Deane

19. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley Second Unit

Same with my Sony 560, glad to hear that others find it as well, I was worried that something other was wrong!

But overall the movie was great, fun easy going type movie, recommend it to anyone.

G2

20. Jim Badger

Jim Badger Agent

I just played this tonight. At 40 seconds into chapter 16 the video got jumpy for pretty much the remainder of the credits and at 2:05 into chap 16 the audio got all distorted for about 5 seconds.

My player is a Sony S550D.