What's new

Sequels with scenes of ineffective gimmicks from the originals (1 Viewer)

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit
Okay, the thread title might be a tad complex, but I thought this might be a fun exercise. I'm looking for scenes in movie sequels where an actor - hero or not - uses some gimmick that worked in the first movie, but fails in the sequel.

Here are a couple cases in point (spoilers abound):

In The Karate Kid, the hero wins the tournament by using the crane technique. In The Karate Kid, Part II, he tries the same thing and gets pummeled.

In Blade, the hero defeats the arch-villain by using a chemical called EDTA (an anti-coagulant). In Blade II, he tries it on the villain du jour and fails.

What other sequels are out there with similar scenes?

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
In Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Indy is confronted by a swordsman. He reaches for his pistol, but the holster is empty, because he lost the pistol earlier.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Neo's line, "Upgrades" from Matrix Reloaded reminds one of Neo's one handed fist fight with Agent Smith at the end of the original.

Indiana Jones tries the "shoot the swordsmen" trick from RoTLA in Temple of Doom, but his gun isn't there.
(Oops, Wayne beat me to it) :b

Just a couple that come to mind quickly.

JKS

James T

Screenwriter
In Back to the Future Pt. 1, Marty knocks 50's Biff by getting him to look at one direction and punching him when he turns. In part 2, Marty tries the same thing with 2015 Biff, but his future Biff catches Marty's fist.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks