What's new

Sequels--the worst (1 Viewer)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
The Halloween series was definately going to be a bunch of unrelated stories under the title banner. I don't know why they decided to make a direct sequel with Halloween 2, and then go back to the original plan for part 3, but it obviously didn't work. I actually like Halloween 3, too for some reason though.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Because "Halloween" became such a big success that a direct sequel was inevatable. Carpenter wasn't really interested in doing "Halloween II" but it was going to happen with him or without him and he felt that, at least, it was a chance to make some money. He wrote it and "Killed off" M.M. at the end (This, I believe, was still in the days before slashers could never be killed) Thinking the M.M. storyline was put to bed, they went ahead with the original anthology idea and made Halloween III. After that went over so poorly, the idea was abandoned and Halloween became about M.M. again.

As for my own opinions of Halloween III, it's not a very good movie, but yeah, it does have a creepiness to it that puts it, at least, above the most of the crap that passes for "Horror" today. I do own it on DVD and watch it around Halloween along with the other films.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Because the "annual" idea about unrelated new stories began for Part 3, not Part 2. The only thing "revisionist" about it would be your misunderstanding of the actual history. It's what really was intended at the time, but by #4 it was decided to abandon the idea and go back to Michael Myers instead.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
^ And as much as I enjoy Halloween 4, I would've loved to see them stick to that game plan. I think Halloween III is a fascinating, incredibly creepy little film, and I would've loved seeing more entries in a similar vein.

As far as Halloween II goes, I think it's excruciatingly dull for the majority of it's running time, and I never cared for the sister idea that this sequel spawned. Halloween worked better when Myers was just after a girl he had no connection too.

A New Beginning and The Final Chapter are my faves of the F13 series. :D I hate Jason Takes Manhattan with a passion, and now that I think about it, I'm not too fond of Freddy vs. Jason either.

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator
Those aren’t rumors. On Universal’s insistence the original movie was altered for a wider audience and of course the most important reason to sell toys!

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Just looking at that shot of Arnold and Grace Jones is enough to remind me of the made-by-studio committee awfulness that is Conan the Destroyer.

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
from what i remember universal went to Mattel to have them make a line of conan the barbarian toys. Mattel made a bunch up , then saw the final cut of the film and said to universal no can do and all those conan toys became HE-MAN and the masters of the universe.r-rated movies can have sequels with lesser ratings and still be good because its about content when it comes to ratings

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Some really bad ones mentioned.
I don't think I saw Terminator 3. That was pathetic.
Gremlins 2, come on, the guy accepts a genetically altered gremlin who was changed to a woman.
All the Critter movies

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
OK, from the article that Staying Alive picture did remind me on how really, really bad that movie was.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Highlander 2 is so godawful that I refuse to even read what they said about it. I don't want to be reminded of its existence.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

If I follow this criteria, then I'm really going to stick my neck out in this thread. For me the greatest drop between original and sequel in terms of how much I love the first and hate the sequel...

Ghostbusters/Ghostbusters II.

I love the original Ghostbusters, it is one of my favorite films of all time, it is a movie that evokes a lot of fond memories. Ghostbusters II makes me evoke things as well, but they're usually swear words and unhappy emotions as I try again to sit through that movie hoping to like it and end up hating it even worse than the time before.

I know it has its fans, and that's cool by me...but I am not one of those people. I can't even really explain why I hate it so much, it just did not click with me in any way shape or form.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Most people here know that I'm notorious for bashing Paul WS Anderson (and "Family Guy", too) so you can say I'm biased for saying what I'm about to say about "Mortal Kombat: Annihilation" but I don't care.

I never saw it before a couple months ago when I caught it on cable and yes, it's awful and yes, it's worse than Paul WS Anderson's "Mortal Kombat" but you know what? There isn't a significant drop in quality there. I'd say it's 80-85% as "good" as the first film and that slight quality difference was magnified by the fact that the "Mortal Kombat" fanbase had aged a couple years between films and the games themselves had started to decline in quality starting with "Mortal Kombat 3".

Anyways, I'll now turn my attention to a movie sequel that truly deserves to be on any "worst sequels" list, and that is "Fletch Lives".

The original "Fletch" movie is a classic comedy in it's own right but it's only partially satisfying if you're a fan of Gregory McDonald's "Fletch" series. The original book is represented in about 50% of the film and the other 50% is just Chevy Chase being himself. As a fan of the books I feel that the film series would have been more successful if they had gone more towards the source material in subsequent films but they did the exact opposite: they wrote a completely original story when there were 8 vastly superior "Fletch" novels at the time that would have made for much better films.

"Fletch Lives" was so far removed from the source material (which was a huge part of what made the first film a success) that it killed the franchise.

I highly recommend reading the "Fletch" book series, they're a lot of fun, but there is an overwhelming sense of "what might have been", especially considering how easily you can see Chevy Chase as the Fletch in the books. Fletch regularly uses fake names in the books, the whole "wacky disguises" thing was an exaggeration of that in the films, and Chase would have had to reign himself in to do justice to the "Fletch" of the books but it's still easy to picture.

It's a shame that Kevin Smith's chances of doing the "Fletch" series right have been ruined by Harvey Weinstein's desire to make all the same mistakes that were made in the Chevy Chase films.

Anyways, the whole "Fletch Lives" thing had me thinking about other cases where the entire series of the source material was thrown out in favor of new material and I couldn't think of any. I could think of plenty of cases where the film series continued after the novels had finished (like "The Godfather" and "Planet of the Apes") but none where they pretty much kicked the entire series to the curb.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter

Exactly...Gremlins 2 is basically a spoof of Gremlins (although Gremlins never really took itself all that seriously to begin with...). And in that regard, I think it works quite well, especially with John Glover, basically playing a cross between Ted Turner and Donald Trump is a hoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks