What's new

Sequels--the worst (1 Viewer)

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
The Secret of NIMH 2. An awful, awful film. The original had superb animation, an excellent Jerry Goldsmith score, some great characters and a wonderful dark feel. The sequel was cheap, had horrid animation that was far too simplistic and bright, a sh*t score and a stupid comedy baddie who was totally at odds with anything in the original. It was one of the few times I came close to snapping the DVD in half :)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
"Alien vs. Predator" is the worst sequel/prequel (because it's technically both) ever made.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Sorry, Bill, AVP doesn't even belong in this thread, it isn't a sequel, it is a stand alone film based on two previously established characters.

Wait for the sequel then come back. :D

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member

Wrong. See Joe's post for what actually happened. That said, Halloween III is my favorite of the series.

As far as terrible sequels go, here are a few that are beyond abysmal:

Return of the Living Dead II
Robocop 3
House 2: The Second Story
An American Werewolf in Paris
Teen Wolf Too
Halloween 5
Halloween H20
Lawnmower Man 2: Jobe's War
Piranha 2: The Spawning
Friday the 13th Part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

It's a sequel to the "Predator" films no matter what Paul WS Anderson says, and it's a prequel to the "Alien" films no matter what Paul WS Anderson says.

I don't want to have to post the definitions of "sequel" and "prequel" but they both apply to "AvP" and the fact that it's a crossover doesn't negate sequel/prequel status.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
There's no real evidence that it's a sequel to the Predator films (I don't count the time it's set in, to be considered a REAL sequel the past films must be referranced in some way) and yes, I suppose it is a prequel to the Alien films, but that also disqualifies it for being included in this thread.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Considering the fact that it includes Predators, there's no debate. If it was something based on another medium and there were two unrelated adaptations like "Manhunter" and "Silence of the Lambs" or "Batman: The Movie", "Batman" and "Batman Begins" that would be one thing but Predators originally appeared in films and this is another film with nothing whatsoever to suggest that it's in a different series/continuity/universe etc. The mere presence of Predators is a reference to the earlier films. It's clearly not a remake and it takes place at a later date so it's absolutely a sequel. I hate "AvP" as much as anyone does but technically it's no less a sequel than "Predator 2", which also featured no returning characters.

Also, I'm not the first person to bring up a prequel and I think the distinction between sequel and prequel is unnecessary in this thread. Sure, it says "sequels" right in the title but it's obvious by the original poster's statement that "often the 2nd/ last entry in a franchise's terrible" that he didn't specifically mean "what movie that takes place chronologically after the previous movie", it seems obvious to me that he vaguely meant any cinematic followup of a series.

Also, for what it's worth, Entertainment Weekly recently did an article on the 25 worst "sequels" of all time and "The Phantom Menace" was included.

I definitely recognize the difference between sequel and prequel but there's no good reason to omit prequels from this thread. It's an unnecessary restriction that only limits the overall discussion.

CoreyII

Second Unit
Hey TravisR you're not alone, I'm a fan of Halloween III as well. It's a very fun and creepy horror film.

I love all of the Rambo films. Rambo III is a very underated film. I give Sly credit for setting the story in Afghanistan as opposed to retreading the Viet Nam scenario over again. That's why those Chuck Norris "Missing in Action" films were so bad, now talk about some bad sequels.

I also defend M:I-2, to me it was a stripped down Bond film, far more fun to watch than some of the Brosnan films. I find it interesting that many of the people that dislike M:I-2 are the same John Woo fans that love his Hong Kong work. They love it when Chow Yun Fat gets shot a gazillion times (A Better Tommorrow 2, I believe) and keeps on fighting, but when Woo applies his tricks to Tom Cruise, to a lesser degree, then its a problem.

Although I wouldn't call it the worst sequel, Superman II isn't as good as it's predecessor. It is still a very watchable film but it hasn't held up very well over time. I recently picked up the International version which supposedly has some of the Donner footage placed back in it. The film still doesn't hold up as well as the original.

Finally, four really bad sequels: Robocop 2, Robocop 3, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome and Conan the Destroyer. In the case of Robo-3, Mad Max, and Conan the Destroyer, how do you go from having three badass rated R heroes and then lower them to a PG-13 status. Some heroes aren't for family viewing.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
CoreyII, actually, I don't even think that the PG-13 rating existed back when Conan the Destroyer came out. The original was a great R rated film but the sequel got the PG!
I completely also agree with RoboCop 3. I even watched the first two in their full R rated forms and felt the third was a cheap-shot due to it's being PG-13.
With Mission: Impossible 2, it's one of my favorite Woo films. I'm glad Cruise is making each film in this series with a different director each time they do one. I can't wait for M:I-3.:D
:crazy:

Chris Parham

Stunt Coordinator
Wow,- no disrespect meant at all (honestly)- but I can't believe the number of people that liked Halloween 3! To each his own I guess :)
I'm sure I remember reading that the name was slapped on by the creators after the fact.
If it was meant to be an annual thing with different, unrelated stories - then why was Halloween 2 a next day sequel in the proper sense of the word?
I'm not looking to hijack this thread, but it sounds to me like the latter theory seems a bit revisionist.
Hey this movie stinks, let's slap the sequel tag on it to build in an audience. Whoa, bad idea we've upset the fan base let's say we tried something new that didn't work and go back to that Myers boy story - carry on!

CoreyII

Second Unit

Hey Chris, I don't feel disrespected at all by your comment. I can actually understand why Halloween III still doesn't sit well with many people. I remember when it first came out in the theaters.

I was psyched at the prospect of seeing ol'Mike slash his way on the screen again. Well needless to say Conal Cochran is not Michael Myers but he is very scary in his own way. It is because of that scariness that the film grew on me.

I don't know why the producers didn't just leave the subtitle as the main title, "Season of the Witch" isn't a bad title for a horror movie.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
I don't find Destroyer that bad. It is not as good as Barbarian, but it's still a fun Conan flick. And I'm sure it would have gotten the PG12 rating. There were rumors of a R cut at one time.

And I also like Halloween 3 and don't see it as a sequel because it doesn't continue the Michael Myers story.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Final Destination 3

AvP for sure.

Phantom Menace has grown on me, but thinking of it in the same series as the OT, it belongs here.

eric tengren

Stunt Coordinator
THE BIRDS 2 LANDS END
THE STING 2
EDDIE AND THE CRUISERS 2 EDDIE LIVES!
THE STAR WARS PREQUELS {thats right.}
caddyshack 2
slap shot 2
grease 2
staying alive

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

I disagree, I think that each of the PT movies has a counterpart in the OT of roughly the same quality. I think "The Phantom Menace" and "Return of the Jedi" are roughly equal, "Attack of the Clones" and "A New Hope" are roughly equal and "Revenge of the Sith" and "The Empire Strikes Back" are roughly equal. In every one of those cases I slightly prefer the OT entry to the PT entry but when I rank them they alternate evenly between OT and PT.

I just don't see a huge quality gap between trilogies, just a slight edge.

One series where I do see a sudden drop between films that immediately comes to mind is "The Matrix" trilogy, and that saddens me because I think there was enough great material spread out over the two sequels to make one single sequel that was superior to the first.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
my votes for worst sequals go to:

Fierce Creatures

Poison Ivy 2

Cruel Intentions 2

Return of the Re-animator

Look Who's Talking Too

grease 2

Home alone 2 and 3

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
But Fierce Creatures wasn't a sequel. It was a new film with the same cast, but it was most definitely not a sequel. It had the same cast, but playing different characters. Otherwise, Runaway Bride would be a sequel to Pretty Woman.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks