What's new

Sequels--the worst (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
My biggest problem with many sequels is that they tend to parody the original. Very often, the idea of showing audiences the characters they know and love from the first film becomes an excuse for silliness and we find ourselves laughing when what we should be feeling is dramatic tension (assuming it's a drama or an adventure). Temple of Doom and Return of the Jedi are guilty in this regard, but I wouldn't call them the worst sequels ever (although they're not good.) Many of the James Bond films are guilty of that too (A View To A Kill comes to mind.)

There's a special place in movie hell for Batman Forever and Batman & Robin, but I think the worst sequel ever made - and very possibly the worst movie ever made - is Mission Impossible 2. That one is full of every cliche in movie history. Some movies are so bad that you laugh at them, while others are so bad you just slap your forehead and say "Oh come on!" By the time MI2 got to the slo-mo scene where Cruise walks through a fireball and a dove flies out, I was doing just that.

But MI2 isn't a sequel in the traditional sense, but rather in the modern sense. In the traditional sense, the sequel had something to do with the story or the characters of the original (the way Beneath the Planet of the Apes followed the first film, or the way Star Trek III followed II, etc.). In modern sense, a sequel, such as MI2, is simply a generic action movie with a brand name slapped on it. As poor as some sequels have been in movie history, at least they weren't the hollow, empty vessels that are made now and tagged with a familiar name and new number.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Bruce Willis was just too annoying to make the character of McClane as likable as he was in the 1st film.

Oh yeah, in light of Keith Paynter's funky signature image, DO NOT WATCH the sequel to Bambi Meets Godzilla. UGH!!!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Charlie,
I must point out that your mistaken about Arnold and how he wanted to be portrayed in T2.

Cameron has spoken numerous times about the pitch meeting he had with Arnold over lunch, he said that when Arnold found out that this time he doesn't get to kill anyone he was upset about it, but Cameron insisted that it was a crucial story point that he not kill anyone this time.

If it were up to Arnold, he would have been killing people left and right in T2. ;)

You guy's and gal's have obviously never seen Troll 2! :eek: If not, do yourself a favour and rent it, you'll either throw up from the stench coming from your screen or laugh your freakin' asses off LOL! I only wish MST3K were still on the air so that they could launch a big, fat well deserved scud missle at that piece of shit. :laugh:

Also, watch (if you dare) ANY sequel to ANY Charles Band/Full Moon Entertainment film. :thumbsdown:

Travis,
I came up with a very lengthy theory that T3 was nothing more than a bad dream on the part of John Connor. It's not as simple as it sounds, a lot of it makes sense and it goes into the film in great detail. I would post it but it would take me an hour and a half to type it all.

Chris Stainton

Second Unit
Charlie,

I for one am in your corner as well regarding T2. It is by far my most hated sequel of all time and I have done my best to erase it from my mind.

Gralen

Stunt Coordinator
My worst sequels were Speed II, Superman III(What was Richard Pryor thinking) and Swamp Thing II. Swamp Thing was bad but II was out right nauseous.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Speed 2 is one of those sequels that, taken at face value, is fun, but if you apply even a pre-school level amount of thought into it, the whole thing get's blown out of the water.

Keanu Reeves said it best in an interview about why he turned it down..."Just how fast can a ship go anyway?" And why these people couldn't have simply jumped off of the ship is beyond me, it's not like the temperature of the water would have killed them like it did the passengers of TITANIC, they were in the Carribean, the water must of been at least 70 degrees. :rolleyes

Still, that ship-against-ship side swipe sequence is still great IMO.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
"Legally Blonde" was a good movie, not great, but funny. "Legally Blonde 2" was embarrassing for all involved. Resse Witherspoon should have to give back her oscar for not only starring in it, but producing it as well.

Not to defend such garbage like "Speed 2", but the ship was always moving and if they jumped off they'd get sucked under and fileted by the propellers, as what happened to the captain. The main problem with that film wasn't its faulty logic, although there was aplenty, it was as you pointed out; it didn't move very fast. The film should have been called "Half-Speed."

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
TROLL 2 isn't really a sequel, but I'd agree it MUST BE SEEN!

JAWS THE REVENGE makes JAWS 3-D and JAWS 2 look like masterpieces. :)

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Jim Carrey Sequels (Prequels) Without Jim Carrey...

Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd

Ruslan

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with the point about sequels making characters into parodies of themselves - like the personality change in Marcus Brody between Raiders and Indy & Last Crusade - turning him into a complete buffoon for comedy effect. Even the Back to the Future films had this to some extent.
I'd like to add Blade 3 to the list - horrible!
Highlander 2 must deserve some kind of award for completely and utterly changing things from the first film in the most radical possible way. I can't think of any other sequel that changed the entire origin of the characters in such a way!

Chris Parham

Stunt Coordinator
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Halloween 3. It's not just a bad sequel, like many of the other installments in the series. It was a movie that had the halloween name thrown on it after the makers realized what a stinker it was! It has nothing to do with the series. Nada!:angry:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Couldn't agree more about Halloween III, although for some unknown reason it has gained a following over the years.

That jingle in the film makes me want to slash my own throat with a plastic butter knife. :angry:

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
HALLOWEEN 3 wasn't a sequel to anything. Back then, the idea was to begin an annual series of movies for Halloween, each with a different subject matter. It was never intended to be a part of the original series.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It actually doesn't even matter that it isn't really a sequel, it's just not a very good film in general IMO.

A rare mis-fire for Tom Atkins for me. :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks