Seperates verse Integrated Receiver????

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Scott Lavery, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Scott Lavery

Scott Lavery Auditioning

Hello Everyone,

I’m a newbie to this forum and was hoping for some professional advice. My set up consists of a Great Room with the following equipment.

VS-6041 Mitsubishi Big Screen TV, 2- JBL 412P 4 way Powered Studio Series speakers for the Front Left & Right, 2-JBL S-38 Bookshelf speakers for the rears, Pinnacle center, Audio-Source SW Fifteen sub. I introduced a Rotel RB-985 MK-II Five Channel Power Amp to my Pioneer Elite VSX-26TX Receiver that just bit the dust after only 4 years and 2 months. After reading about the known problems with this Pioneer Elite Receiver,I am at the cross roads of the separates verse integrated amp receiver debate. I am leaning toward going all separates, and was hoping for some input on a suitable pre-amp that will work well for my application. Rotel’s new RSP-1098 is very tempting but pricey for me at this time, so I am considering the RSP-1066, which is more within my budget. Is staying with Rotel a good decision since my amp is also Rotel or will another brand be just as suitable? If so, any recommendations???????

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

On the whole seperates are more expensive but they tend to be of higher quality.
    My preamp weighs almost 70 pounds; more than most receivers - that says alot about the build quality.
    People upgrade all the time and there are some great deals on used equipment. Then in a few years time if you save your nickels and dimes you can upgrade yourself.

3. Chester II

Chester II Stunt Coordinator

Scott dude,

Uh...dude, if you already have a separate amplifier (and a very good one) then you should totally get the RSP-1066. Purchasing a new receiver with integrated amplifier would be a large SIDE-step in my opinion. I have the Rotel RSX-1055 which I totally LOVE but I would be even more in love with the RSP-1066 and RB-985 combination.

Dude,

Chester

4. Paul Spencer

Paul Spencer Stunt Coordinator

Scott,

Normally I'd say that money is better spent elsewhere. IMO many focus so much of their budget on amps and components that they don't spend enough on the things that influence the audio and visual experience the most:

1. visual
    2. room acoustics/treatment/construction
    3. speakers

IMO these influence your experience far more than amps, preamps, processors, cables and components.

In your case, you already have power amps, which is good since they won't have made the compromises on power supply, current capacity and heatsinks that receivers have to make. However, separates are very expensive and I think you spend far too much extra for a gain that is very very subtle. Perhaps you may in fact be better buying a receiver that has pre-outs and then adding your rotel power amps. One local high end store suggested this approach and it makes sense to me:

See this article