1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Seperates Question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Jeff_A_G, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Jeff_A_G

Jeff_A_G Stunt Coordinator

Can somebody explain how a seperates setup works? I'm not new to the HT thing, but I've never really heard of seperates until I found this site. Any help on what is involved and what is used for hookup would help. I'm looking to upgrade soon and want to see if this option is for me.

2. John S

John S Producer

It is a term given typically when you have different pieces of equipment that make up the major sections of what we like to call a reciever in the old days, now a Audio Visual Reciever (AVR) with surround sound and home theater setups being the most common.

In a home theater only setup you would typically have:
    A Pre/Pro - Pre-Amp / Processor, which has inputs for all your components. It will have analog and digital inputs, and have Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby ProLogic/PrologicII, ect..ect... decoding software.

A Power Amp(s) - Configured a variety of ways, and number of power amps to power all the speakers involved in one's particular setup. This could be one Multi-Channel amp, multiple 2 channel amps, several Mono Block / single channel amps or any combo of all of these.

In the old days, one would have a separate AM/MF tuner, I mean many people still have them, just not so common anymore.

I hope that helps some.

3. Jeff_A_G

That did help a lot. Could you tell me a little more about the pre/pro's though? What are they and were do you get them? Are they basically a receiver without amplification?

4. John S

John S Producer

Just do a google on Pre/Pro plenty of info out there. Of course you buy them either direct or from a retailer. [​IMG]

Most AVR's still come with an AM/FM tuner, pre/pro's general will not.

They contain the pre-amp and the decoding processor(s).

5. Jeff_A_G

Thanks for the help. I'll search google and if I have any more questions I'll post back.

6. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Jeff, the pre/pro generally contains all the inputs (audio and often video) to connect your sources to (CD/DVD players, LD player, tuner, satellite receiver, cable box, XBOX, etc.). It also contains the circuits and processors to decode the material (stereo, prologic, DD5.1, DTS, and the newer variations). Further, it contains DACs which convert the digital signal to analog and sends that analog signal to the amp.

Now, there are variations, and some units have additional features, but these are the 3 main purposes of a prepro.

The theory behind separates (or discrete components) is that specialization fosters superior performance.

Does a professional chef use a Swiss Army knife to prepare food? Nope. He uses fine Wusthof cutlery (or Henkels, whatever). Think of the receiver as a Swiss Army knife and separates as chef's cutlery.