Seperates Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_Moo, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Steve_Moo

Steve_Moo Stunt Coordinator

Is there that much difference then going with a good Pre-amp and amp then going with a straight Receiver. I was looking to try the seperate thing out but was wondering if it is worth it.

I was looking to get an Adcom Multi-Channel Amp at 135watts x 5 channels but when I went to look at a pre-amp they are very costly. The cheapest 1 I found is in the $1000 + range. I want a pre-amp that has DD, DD-EX, DTS, DTS-ES, and DDPL2 capabilities.

My other question is this I have a Pioneer VSX-45TX now and is it worth the extra money to goto seperates?

Should I just keep the Pionner as Pre-Amp and buy the Adcom?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!!!

2. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

While separates are more expensive they do give you more flexibility in the future. For example a good power amp will last for 20 years so you won't need to buy a new power section every time you upgrade. This isn't true with a receiver.

What you get with a receiver is convenience, good technology at a reasonable price (due to economies of scale) and decent performance. Sometimes that is enough. However, if you want performance above the norm then separates are the way to go.

If you can take the Adcom amp home for a demo do that and then decide if there is a difference and if you like it. If there is no difference or you don't like it, stick to your receiver and perhaps try a different brand of amp in the future.

3. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

4. Steve_Moo

So the pre-amp does that much more in the processing area then a Receiver. Can anyone explain what a pre-amp does then say a good receiver like mine. Any rec'd on a pre-amp? How about the Outlaw Pre-amp seems to have all the surround sound formats I'm looking for. I should also say I am about 97% Home Theater on what I use my equipment with.

5. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Steve,

You have a very nice receiver. It would serve you well as a pre/pro until you are more certain of a full separates system. If you go this route, what you want to do is concentrate on the amp match with the Pio and your speakers. There are a number of units in that price/power range. You don't mention your speakers but I know that 4 Ohm loads are a source of difficulties with most Pioneers except the top two models. The amp will solve any existing or future problems in this area. With your high ratio of HT usage rather than critical 2 channel listening, I would advise using the pre/pro-amp combo to start with. You can always sell the 45TX later on if you wish to join the separates parade. Your experience/confidence level at that time will likely be higher as to whether a separate preamp will bring any benefits applicable to your usage.

6. Steve_Moo

I have the Paradigm Monitor Series Speaker's

3's up front
    cc-370 Center
    ADP-170's as Surrounds
    CC-170 Rear Center

I don't see anything on there website about 4 ohm's capable. Are they? If so, how do you change a amp to run on 4 or 8 ohms?

7. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Steve,
    I am currently using an Outlaw 7100 amp and a Pioneer Elite VSX-37TX receiver as a pre-amp. The difference in sound quality after adding the amp was pretty amazing. There are alot of people that get into seperates buy starting out with an amp connected to their existing receiver. If you are happy with the processing capabilities of your receiver, adding an amp is the way to go until you find the dedicated pre-amp that you like.

8. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Steve a good place to check for Pre/pro's is Ebay and the Hardware forsale forum on this site. A used one will cost you much less than new. I personally got lucky during my move to seperates. While scanning e-bay I came across a Marantz AV560U(with RC2000mkII remote) for $350US(NIB). So I sold of my Denon 1801 to pay for it, and have been in seperates ever since. Currently the Marantz is hooked to a Rotel RMB-1066. Not a bad little setup for $950US.

Kevin

9. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Steve,

Your speakers are all 8 Ohm so you shouldn't be having any difficulty driving your current setup with the 45TX. But you would if you had 4 Ohm speakers or ever move to such a speaker impedance in the future with only the 45TX for power. So the amp addition is always a smart move and unlike with many receivers you do not need to concern yourself with any impedance switching or limitation.

10. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

11. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

JaleeK,

I totally agree with you however that doesn't change what I said and you quoted. A good power amp will last over many upgrade cycles far better then a good receiver. The preamp portion between the top shelf receivers and many separate preamps are very close but that is where the change is. It is easier to upgrade only what you need rather than duplicate everything by buying another receiver.