What's new

Seperates Or Not? (1 Viewer)

SteveMo

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Denon 2802 and the Polk RM 6600 series without the sub and my center channel went to my rear and my new center is the Polk csi40. My two subs are running of a y spliter into individual Marantz MA500 Mono block amps.

I'm not sure if I should get the next 7 MA500 Mono blocks or look for something by Denon. I know they made something I just forgot where to find them for sale.

Should I just stick with what I'm using? It sounds good.

I think I would need the matching rears and do something with the old center then to have 7.1 which is more than am I am wanting to spend so that would have to come much later if I could find some titles with 7.1 channels.

Anyone know any good 7.1 channel mixed movies?

If my speakers can only handle up to 120 Watts and the Marantz Mono Blocks are pushing out 120 Watts than am I pushing my luck? The Polk manual recommmends 80-120 Watts for best performance and my Denon puts out 90 Watts so that seems about right but last time I tried a 120 Watt setup with an Onkyo I blew 4 out of 5 speakers. I am not sure if the Onkyo 797 just messed up my speakers because of the harmfull frequencies resulting in a non adjustable crossover or if it hurt it due to low power. I have heard the Onkyo have trouble reporting th actual Watts per channel when tested by audiophiles. The Onkyo also fried when I watched Jurrasic Park becasue of the flags I asume so that may have also done something to the speakers.

I want to take care of my speakers while enjoying a nice reference volume so what should I do?

SteveMo

Stunt Coordinator
Denon doesn't make them. Thats too bad. :frowning:
Guess I will just wait and see if my speakers are going to be alright. Then deside.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Hi Steve,
Here's a link to a thread (I'm sure there are others) that might help you out with regard to the power handling ratings listed on speakers. Generally, I'll say, they aren't nearly as valuable as a speaker's sensitivity rating. At times, they appear almost arbitrary to me, at least with certain speakers. Speaker damage is more likely to occur with an amp that is underpowered than overpowered. Read on
Link: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...light=clipping

DanaA

Screenwriter
It does sound to me like you might have overdriven your receiver's amp, causing clipping, especially with a high demand load that might be evoked by a movie such as Jurrasic Park.

Have you by chance callibrated your system with a decibel meter? The reason I mention this is that you might actually have been listening to your system at a level higher than reference or at least higher than your setup can handle.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well for starters you should consider the volumes that you're currently playing at. This is in part related to their efficiency. For example, let's say we have two speakers lines, having efficiencies of 89 and 98 dB repectively. For a given power output of your amp, the latter will sound 4x as loud. Generally speaking, excess power is not a bad thing. What you've got to determine is if you're currently taxing your present system. Most likely not.
People upgrade, if that's the word, for a variety of reasons. this is strictly my opinion but i'd say hold off as what you're doing is what I myself consider largely a lateral upgrade. Myself, I rather suspect this will not be your last system and seeing as how you've selected good components will serve to provide an excellent second system. In the meantime, I'd open up a second bank account and fund it regularly to get a substantial amount of cash for when that day comes. Personally I'd be looking at speakers and just make it a regular project to listen. Go to different places and take good notes, writing down what you thought you liked, didn't, etc. That account will grow and a time will come when you've found the ones you like, maybe at a great price because they're demo or a new product line was introduced...whatever. While you're doing that I'd also be considering and learning at the same time what it is that I can do, roomwise, to get the most out of my present system. That largely involves things with speaker placements, working on the room insofar as identifying and controlling reflections. What you'll find in this time period that you're goint to learn a lot about how you can make a good thing better. Then when its time to pull the trigger, you'll have obtained a deeper appreciation of audio in general and you'll probably save a lot of money because you won't be waltzing side to side and only moving forward a little. That's just me though Steve and seeing as how the advice is free you can do with it what you wish.
If you wish, I'll send you something on dealing with your room. If not, enjoy the music :)

SteveMo

Stunt Coordinator
Yes DanaA It's all setup using an analog SPL meter from raido shack.
(MY EQUIPMENT IS IN THE REVIEWS SECTION AT MY SITE)
All my questions have been answered here. Thanks. I still would enjoy improvements in the future.
I now Know that clipping was coming from my first reciever a 6 month old Demo Pioneer VSX-D710S because I heard it and it's why I got rid of it. I told them I heard clicking in the surrounds and times when sound would go off for a split second. I think that was clipping.
I think the ONKYO 797 ( my second try) probobly had some from being so tired. I gave it a vigorous test of techno 3 nights in a row along with Preditor DTS, Castaway, and Jurrasic Park 3 all of which were DTS and at reference volume.
(BUT ONLY REFERENCE I ENPHISIZE. EXCEPT THE MUSIC WHICH WAS AN AVERAGE 105 DB AT MY IDEAL LISTENING VOLUME)
When It quit working it would just shut off whenever a loud noise was made or even someone talking too loud. This was the Auto shut off feature I read about it having I am asuming. Know I know what that was for. Sigh of releaf
Yes the Denon did pass this test but only after I had fixed the speakers from my previous problems. I heard plenty of audible distortions from both of the previous units. (sorry owners)
I am happy to say that I have heard no distortions so far. Voices are so clear that every pronounciation sounds clear without any flat or sudden losses in tone.
Distortion is the problem? Thats not a problem! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks