Seperate Processor only

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Woody, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Paul Woody

Paul Woody Auditioning

Hi all,
    I have a stereo set up at the moment and as yet no HT. I am still doing all the reseach via this site and the rest.
    I currently biamp using Arcam Alpha 10 (lows) and Arcam Alpha 9 (highs). Both amps have preouts but the AA10 has power in.
    I have been following the seperates debates with great interest, especially the Outlaw 950 chat.
    My question is, are there any manufactures that make a reasonably priced seperate processor (i.e no preamp built in).
    I take it I could use either AA as the preamp, possibly the AA9, and join it to the processor then onto the AA10 and other seperate 5 ch amp (Maybe Outlaw 750).
    Is this a feasible set up and does anyone build a seperate processor.
    Thanks.
    Regards Paul

2. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Here's the thing, without a preamp as part of the processor (that's why they call it a pre-pro), you wouldn't have a system wide volume control. This also means it's going to be very difficult to calibrate your speakers to a common reference volume.
    If you wanted to see what a processor with no preamp setup is like, to prove it to yourself (I don't recommend this), just use the 5.1 analog outputs from any DVD player that includes an internal DD decoder routed to your integrated amps.
    WARNING
    These don't have any volume control on them, they are full output signals, so be careful and make sure all volume controls on your integrated amps are turned way down at first.

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
  4. Paul Woody

Paul Woody Auditioning

BruceD I will trust your better judgement/knowledge and take your word for it. I thought it was all to easy my way :b.
    Looks like it could be the pre/pro for me with maybe a 5 channel amp together with my Arcam Alpha 10 and 9 to run some other speakers.
    Thanks again for the quick reply gentlemen.
    Regards Paul.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Paul- There are a few: Sony SPD-somthing-9ES, Technics SHAC-500 (or something), Pioneers SP-99d, etc. But to be honest, I think it would be a better bet to just get a DD/DTS/DD EX/DTS-ES/etc pre/pro.

6. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Kevin,

These are actually pre-pros in their own right as they have analog and digital inputs, outputs, and master volume controls (at least the SH500 does).

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Bruce- Sort of. Every one of the ones I mentioned was actually designed to be added on to either a Dolby Pro Logic or a stereo system. But you're right in that each of them could be used as a pre/pro in a simple system. (Not many inputs on any of them.)

And actually, I'm pretty sure that the Technics 500 *doesn't* do DPL decoding of 2 channel stereo analog inputs, for example. (I looked at this sucker as a DPL decoder for adding DD EX/DTS-ES to my 5.1 system.)

8. Art Miller

Art Miller Stunt Coordinator

Funny, I was in the same predicament myself. I had a bunch of amps, preamps and hoped to buy a DVD with DD/DTS, and since that would be my primary surround source, use the master volume fade of the DVD player to contol the vol of all the channels. Gee, my old Laserdisk player has a master fade.

Alas, the Pan 91 has no such feature. So, I next looked into the old processor idea, like the Sony Es and non-ES and Technics 500.

I thought that $200-300 for these old gizmos, or $900 for an Outlaw 950 were my only choices.

Then, John Morris posted about cheap Sherwood AV9080R pre/processors being sold via Ubid.

I bought one, and for $349, it offers a lot more switching options than the old processors and has a tone direct mode that switches all but the vol control out of the circuit. It only does DPL/DD/DTS, but is a reasonable alternative to spending several times this amount I think. It also has 6 channel direct analog in to accomodate the DVD-A output of my DVD too.

Works for me, until I can afford the kilobucks processors...

9. Nestor Magkawas

Nestor Magkawas Auditioning

some help for a total newbie...

If I buy the SH-AC500, this means I could connect the Front L and Front R with my existing Stereo Amp, right? Then what do I do with the Rear R+L and the Center? Is there a three input/three output amp available? The reason I don;t want to let go of my stereo amp is that it's a BMB DX55Pro which works great for Karaoke, which what my wife to do most of the time. So I was thinking of adding DD at least because it only offer DPL using the SSP1500 which works somewhat like the VANTAS DPA/S50 except it is only DPL.

Please advise.

Thanks

10. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

With your alpha 10's power-in typically this means a passthrough of sound. Kind of the opposite of pre-out out on processors or receiver's. You might want to check with your manufactrurer or dealer on this for sure.

But with that feature you could either do a receiver or a processor amp combo and just run the front L&R channels into the power-in connections on your alpha 10. The receiver and processor would then act as a master volume control for all sources connected into them and they would also be providing the juice for the other three channels. The alpha 10 and 9 wouold still be powering your fronts and for all your stereo sources they would still be controlled as you do now with no need to use the HT add-ons.

The reason your alphas can't be used as a preamp as you had thought is because they are only providing volume control for two channels, the other 3 channels would still be uncontrolled.