What's new

Seperate power amp to match with HK 8000? (1 Viewer)

Mark Russ

Second Unit
I got the HK 8000 from one call. Now I need a 2 channel amp to go with it for full on 7.1 surround sound.
I was leaning to either a HK 2000 or 4000. With the 4000, I would use it to passive biamp my mains, but it I were to go with the 2000, would it be best to use it to power the mains or the rears? It is rated at 100 watts per channel, while the 8000 is rated at I think 110 watts per channel. Bottom line, would the 8000 reciever's built in internal amps be stronger than the 2000's or not? Thanks in advance.

Patrick D

Stunt Coordinator
Tom Bombadil did a great review over on the AVS Forum on just this issue. In a double-blind test, he stated he could not differentiate between a Parasound external amp, and the H/K 8000's internal amps.

Personally, I find the 8000's internal amps to be very nice, and supposedly they are underrated for power. I have an Adcom GFA-540 for the front mains and I feel the mains sound just a little more detailed and 'present' with the external amp than with the H/K's built-in amps.

Unless you have really good gear, I wouldn't worry about it much. The difference in quality would not be substantial. Unless you have really thirsty speakers (i.e., Paradigm Studio 100's), I highly doubt the wattage difference will be an issue.

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
I think you will be ok as long as you choose a amp that has a reputation for being neutral in sound...I choose to use a carver to power my nht 2.9's because it takes a whole lot to drive them....The 8000 powers the other 5 and I am pleased with the result, my wife gave me an early christmas present yesterday, fleetwood mac rumours on dvd audio...and although I don't have a dvd audio player yet, the 5.1 dd on this is amazing....suprisingly dvd audio is the one thing logic7 does not do well....instead I overlay thx ex and the sound is amazing...that way all 7.1 speakers are put to use...it does not seem to change the steering of dd like l7 does and just seems to add the two back channels to the mix. ....I know this was off topic but you have to get this disc...I think I like it even better than my night at the opera disc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks