separation of rear speakers vs separation of fronts

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jack_TN, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Jack_TN

Jack_TN Stunt Coordinator

I thought figuring out where to mount my speakers wouldn't be any problem, but now that I've put some measurements down on paper, I've got a question about it.

Is it right that it's best to mount them with the same distance from the listening position to each speaker? For example, if the front speakers are located 10 ft in front of the listening position and 3 ft from the center line, then if the rears are to be 3 ft behind the listening position, they should be mounted 10 ft from the center line?

It just seemed odd to me to say the front speakers are 6 ft apart and the rear speakers are 20 ft apart. But is this the correct way to look at it?

Thanks,

Jack

2. Terry Montlick

Terry Montlick Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jack,

There's no reason to have front and rear speakers be the same distance from each other. They don't need to be the same distance from the listening position, either, although the European standard (EBU) recommends this for music surround. It's not at all the rule for movie surround sound. Your 5.1 receiver has a distance adjustment for each set of speakers. This sets the appropriate delay so that all the sound reaches your ears at the same time.

See the Dolby site for speaker placement recommendations:

http://www.dolby.com/ht/Guide.HomeTheater.0110.html

Regards,
    Terry

3. Jack_TN

Jack_TN Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, Terry. That's the info I needed. I had looked at that site before, but didn't remember the address. What had stuck in my mind was the diagram in Section 3.4 about setting up the surrounds for DVD-Audio, where it shows the speakers arranged equally around a circle.

Jack