Separating the OS and data files…

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett_H, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

OK, here’s tonight’s trivia question:

I’ve tried to keep things pretty well separated on my “new” system, I’ve got the OS (Win2Kpro) on C:, Programs on D:, Data on E:, and my Swapfile on S:. The first two are one physical drive, the others are a 2nd drive.

That said, I’ve managed to separate most everything, but the “Documents and Settings” folder keeps getting used on C:. How do I migrate this over to another drive? I saw under “Environment Variables” that my TEMP and TMP dir’s are set to %USERPROFILE%Local SettingsTemp. OK, so how do I change the %USERPROFILE% setting?

Thanks,

-Brett.

2. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

I think you need to use Tweak UI...you can get this with Microsoft Power Toys or on its own (I think) at download.com...then you should be able to go to the section in Tweak UI which allows you to move the locations of certain folders.

the "documents and settings" thing - I believe that stays with the windows partition maybe? but also folders like "my documents" you should be able to right-click on them and redefine their locations as well.

you can also go into internet options and change the temp internet file location, and also if you use outlook express (or maybe outlook as well) you can change the "message store folder" so that all of your data that is updated regularly is kept on one drive for easy backup.

3. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Also bear in mind that if you use any Microsoft applications, it appears to be SOP there to put at least 75% of the app in the %SYSTEMROOT% tree. So little decisions to keep the OS separate from the applications are practically nullified anyway. As much as I'd do that on any real OS, for a Windows release make sure you install to a drive of at the very least 2Gb or you'll have a nightmare of a time.

4. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

To change your temp and tmp settings-

-right click My Computer and select Properties

-select the Advanced tab

-click the Environment Variables button

-under User and System variables select the variable you want to change then click the Edit button and enter the new path

The user temp and tmp folders is where downloads and such will be located. The system temp and tmp folders are used by the os.

I'd actually reccomend keeping the swap file and the system temp dirs on the same physical drive as the operating system. Having them on seperate physical drives can cause something of a perf hit. Particularly if they're on the same controller cable.

T

5. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Thom,

6. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

If they are on seperate controller cables thats fine. Its just that while normally the advice is to put the swap file on the drive thats (a) fast and (b) used for little else normally stands, with IDE you can get a nasty switching bottleneck at times when you're using the master and slave at the same time. Its not a major headache anyway.

7. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

Ian beat me to it, (tx Ian) and with that much ram you wouldn't run into much trouble, unless you're working with massive media files and such.

T