Separating from DA4ES - Questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ernest Yee, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

I'm currently in the process of planning out what components I want to replace my DA4ES with. My plan is to get the Pre-pro + Amp and then recoup some of that cost by selling the DA4ES.

With that in mind - I was thinking about going for a Outlaw 950 + some USED ~$1000 amp.

My questions regarding this ~$1000 amp are as follows:
    -Is there a audible difference between the old Anthem MCA5 and the newer MCA50?
    -Would I notice anything at all if I switch to a Rotel RMB-1075? (125W Continuous vs DA4ES's *supposed* 110W - I know the 2 channel is higher but not sure about all channels driven)
    -And if there's not much of a difference, how much wattage should I go for as a minimum if my current setup is a pair of Paradigm Studio v2 40s, v2 CC, and Monitor 7s(rears). I'm planning on selling the 7s and getting a pair of 60/80/100s depending if a good deal comes up for a used pair.

I'd like to get a good price/performance ratio (based on used pricing) but I'd also like to satisfy my upgrade bug. I don't think I can get any better than a used Outlaw 950 for the prepro so that's why this post was mainly directed at the amp section. Any advice is appreciated.

2. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

Ernest,
    I can't testify to your other questions, but I can to the qualities of the Rotel RMB-1075. I've owned one for a year and am delighted with it. I'm currently using four channels to biamp a pair of speakers that are rated for 500 watts/channel, and one channel for a center channel.

The RMB-1075 produces 120 watts continuous per channel into an 8 ohm load and 200 watts continuous into a 4 ohm load. I had a DA4ES for about a month, and the amp quality is vastly improved in the Rotel. The Rotel is THX Ultra certified, so you know the ratings are for real, and almost doubling the output into a 4 ohm load is a good sign of an amp's quality. To top it off, I can run mine for extended periods and the amp barely gets warm to the touch.

I rarely see these on Audiogon and they're usually snapped up quickly for a high price there. I got mine new for $950 last year. Rotel has a 5 year warranty on their amps.

3. John-Tompkins

John-Tompkins Second Unit

4. Ernest Yee

Hmm - good point. Yeah - I think I'm being a bit too rash on the decision to get both at the same time while I already have a perfectly good receiver. My thinking is that I could regain most of my Sony investment if I sell it now vs a year from now. I'm thinking around the area of $550-600 which I could use towards that better pre-pro.

My only concern about getting that Rotel is that if I get say, the Paradigm 100s on a deal, that I could be getting more out of them w/ a stronger amp. I was hoping for 200W/channel but that seems really hard to come by price-wise.

Another question for you Rotel folk - Do you think that it will maximize the potential of the speakers that I currently own? The v240s,v2CC,Mon7s?

5. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

Ditto. The DA4ES works very well as a pre-pro with the Rotel amp. With the money you'd save on not getting the Outlaw 950, you may be able to swing a Rotel RMB-1095 and step up to 200 watts/channel. And, you'd still have 7 channels of amplification in the Sony to play around with!

6. John-Tompkins

John-Tompkins Second Unit

Ernest,

Another option is to get a two or 3 channel amp for your front 3 or main l/r and let the reciever drive the 4 rear speakers...this way you could get an awesome amp for your front soundstage, some used choices here in the 400~700 dollar range are (rotel rb-993 3 x 200, rotel rb990 200 x 2, parasound 2003 200 x3, parasound 1500 200 x 2 etc. etc.)..

This frees up power reserves too boot, on your reciever since its driving only 4 speakers. Down the road(IF you decide to get a dedicated pre-pro you can add a cheaper 5 channel amp (you wont need as much power for your rears) of the same brand...for example if you got the rotel rb 993 200 x 3 now, then down the road you could add the rotel rb985 5 x 100 for about 400.00 dollars PLUS you would have an extra channel for maybe a passive svs sub or bass shaker or whatever..

Im using a Yamaha rx-v2400 right now as just a pre-pro with a 3 channel 200 watt parasound amp upfront and a sherwood am9080 5 x120 amp for the rears..dollar for dollar its hard to beat.

7. Ernest Yee

Mark-All:

It's not that I have a set budget on this although net dollar-wise I would like to spend less than $1500. I was assuming that I would spend like $700 for the Outlaw 950 and $1000-$1200 for the amp and regain $600 of it back from the DA4ES. I'm not sure I would want to spend all $2000 at once to get an amp. I think one of the concerns that still hangs on my mind is that the DA4ES would depreciate greatly over a year vs if I separated now. I would like to maximize dollar potential and recovery while of course, improving my setup.

John:

I was considering that path (namely getting a 3 channel EQ Cinenova) but I think I was leaning now towards a powerful 200W x 5 setup, and when I have a bigger place for the HT(to switch from 5.1 to 7.1), to grab a better 2 channel amp to use for the mains and use the 200W x 5 for the rest of the speakers. What worries me is if I get the 1075 and then suddenly get a great deal on some speakers that I might need additional power again to maximize speaker potential. I know - it's like I'm juggling around equipment here but I'm essentially equalizing equipment that I currently own, with the equipment that I'm planning on upgrading, with the equipment that I seek to own in the future.

8. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

9. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

Ernest:

I was in a similar situation with a 4es. I think you will find that $400-$450 is the most you can get. I sold mine and got a Pio 45tx with (coincidentally) Earthquake Cinenova 3 for the LCRs. I think it is a great sounding (and cost effective) set-up...

10. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Stick with 4ES as a pre-pro, shoot for a used 200x5 power amp... that should yield the biggest improvement in your particular system at your particular budget.

Power amp is the one component which makes sense to buy used... I've seen Rotel RMB-1095's at around the $1500 point on Audiogon... get a power amp at that level, and you'll likely never feel the urge to replace it... it will probably drive most any speaker upgrade you throw at it..

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    With a 1075, you probably wouldn't need more amplification for Studio CC and 40s up front. The amp section in the 1075 is going to be more stout than the 4ES. If you picked up 100s though, then it would probably be worthwhile to go with either a 2 or 3 ch amp for the front and use the 1075's amps for the rest of the speakers.

However, in this case, I'd have to agree with gregD, to stick with the 4ES for now and see what you can pick up for an amp. You can always look around for a better new or used pre- later.

Congrats on picking up the CC & 40s. [​IMG]

12. Robert_Barlow

I recently purchased a Rotel 1075/1066 combo and the 1075 is a beast! I had Denon 3802 before I switched to seperates and I always thought I had great sound.....but man, I was missing a TON! It took about 30 seconds of the Helms deep battle for me to come out of shock. Things I had never heard before jumped out at me.

Also, just for reference my speaker setup is: Studio 20's for front and rear and a studio cc for center. PDR 1000 for the sub.

Good luck and you won't be sorry if you go with the 1075(IMHO anyway).

13. Ernest Yee

Well - of course John! We're both now boasting new setups! [​IMG]

I'm still doing research on potential amps although I do believe I've ruled out that 1075 just due to the fact that I'd probably upgrade from that in a short period of time. I do agree w/ GregD w/ the 200x5 amp though. We'll see what comes about.