Separates?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Melville_H, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Melville_H

Melville_H Auditioning

Hi

I am making the transition in HT from PL to DD/DTS. I was considering getting a Denon 3802, but I am noticing some HT fanatics are using receivers as pre/pro and a seperate 5 ch amp. My idea is can I buy a lower model receiver, Denon 2802 or lower, and get a Rotel 1095 and be very pleased? I’m new at this so bare with me. How would I connect an SVS to this setup? Also with this setup would I gain an upper hand so I could keep my Polk RT 20 speaker system (wanted to change/upgrade) and not purchase a set of Paradigm Monitor 7v2 system or Studio 60 system? (cant decide). I have a PL receiver so I have to get a DD/DTS PLII receiver. Any advice would be great. You could also recommend another amp and list system cables. Oh, what does it mean to calibrate your system? Thanks in advance.

2. Derrick G

Derrick G Stunt Coordinator

Melville_H,

I'm not that familiar with the Denon line, but usually as you step down in models you lose more features than just amplification. If the 2802 has the same features as the 3802, but just has less power, then the 2802-Rotel combo would be a whole lot better. Most high quality dedicated amps will blow away the amps built into receivers except for the higher line (expensive) receivers. The only downfall is that you won't ever hear the full potential of the Rotel until you get higher quality processing in front of it. But the amp is a good place to start upgrading. Processors get new features and different formats just about every year it seems. A dedicated amp you buy now will still be putting out good, clean power five years from now. Whereas a five year old receiver is probably way behind in the feature/format department. In other words, get the amp now and upgrade to a seperate pre/pro when you can.

You hook the SVS up by running a coax cable from the sub-out on the receiver to the input on the SVS, if its a powered version. If you are using a Samson amp then run from the sub-out to the amp inputs.

As far as a speaker upgrade, that is up to you. With the Rotel amp your speakers will probably sound a whole lot better than they do now. Whether they are good enough for you, will be up to you to decide. I haven't listened to either of those speaker systems, so I really can't comment on which would be better.

What is your budget? The Anthem MCA 5 has received very good reviews. It doesn't have quite the power of the Rotel , 170watts per ch. for the Anthem vs 200watts per ch for the Rotel. It has 30 fewer watts/ch but it's about $600 cheaper. To recommended anything we have to know how much you are willing to spend. Dedicated amps run anywhere from $1000 to over $10000.

Calibration is where you run a pink noise through each speaker one at a time and use a sound level meter measure the output. You then adjust the levels of each channel so that at your listening position each speaker is producing 75 db. This is called reference level. Do a search on reference level, calibrating, Avai, or Video Essentials and you will find a wealth of info on calibration.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions let us know.

Derrick G.

3. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Good Response Derrick.

Hi Melville. If you are going seperates I think you should take a quick mental note of something. The more you seperate your equipment, the more you are going to have to be willing to play mix and match with your gear as well as be more informed on the gear your introducing into your setup.

If you just want to increase headroom in your system an amp will do that for you. If you want to increase the level of clarity, a good amp will do that for you. If you want better bottom end control, then a good amp will do that for you. However, if you want to maximize your experience, eventually you should address these primary aspects of your system:

A. Amplification

Already addressed.

B. Speakers and their placement in the room.

Your speakers should be fine but I heard excellent things about the Paradigm 20's. I used to have the 100's and they were really good. Try your best to get the best speaker positioning for your speakers. You may find that they sound a hell of a lot better than you initially thought.

C. Source (eg. CD player, Tape Deck etc..)

If you prepare a 5 star meal(CD or Record) in a crappy oven(Player), guess what comes out in the end?

D. Room acoustics

The most over looked aspect of HT lovers like us. To give you an idea of the effects of room treatment, think what the movie theater room sounds like when you're one of the first people in the room. You get that loud HUSH sound of silence. When this part of your system is implemented it really exposes the true guts of the rest of your system.

If these aspects of your system are addressed and implimented, everything else is just seasoning on the steak. You don't have to accomplish this in one swing because doing it at a pace that you can afford and take all of the information in effectively will ensure that you're getting the most from your audio experience emotionally and intellectually. Infact, that's the fun part because it forces you to get to know your gear in your setup and how it compares to other offerings on the market.

The more you seperate your system, the more experimental you'll have to be with your gear inorder to reach a level of 'Synergy' that's satisfying to you.

Good Luck

4. ToddJoseph

ToddJoseph Stunt Coordinator

Martice,

"Awesome" answer!!!!!!!!

Enough said,...next

Todd

5. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Separates.

6. Melville_H

Melville_H Auditioning

Thanks for the replies guys,

Derrick G

By chance, yesterday, I got to audition the Anthem 5 with the AVM 20 and Paradigm 60's, and I liked the sound but I didnt get to audition any B&w's, I had limited time. I listened to the Monitor 7(on a reciever), Studio 40 and 100(on the Anthem combo) and liked the 60's better. I guess one should really listen to audio gear instead of going by another persons preference b4 purchasing.

Martice

"You don't have to accomplish this in one swing because doing it at a pace that you can afford and take all of the information in effectively will ensure that you're getting the most from your audio experience emotionally and intellectually. Infact, that's the fun part because it forces you to get to know your gear in your setup and how it compares to other offerings on the market."

I know this now. I never thought I would have spent over $900 on audio gear but now $1500+ on an amp alone!!. You should have seen the smile on my face when I heard the Anthem combo with the Studio 60. "I dont know anything about stereo stuff but I like this!!" My girlfriends' words while listening to the 60's after the Monitor 7s. When auditioning bring a female they have good ears plus they MIGHT! help with the purchase.

Once again guys thanks for the input, much appreciated. Now I need to decide between the two amps and not pay retail price for either.

7. Melville_H

Melville_H Auditioning

How do I obtain 6.1/7.1 processing if I use a Denon receiver with a seperate 5ch Amp? And what receivers out there could I use to make this work. Help me out guys!!

8. Derrick G

Derrick G Stunt Coordinator

Melville_H,