Separates? Or Will A 3802 Satifsfy For Now?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JustinP, Jul 29, 2002.

1. JustinP

JustinP Stunt Coordinator

After spending all the money I thought I had on a pair of Paradigm Studio 60's, I've decided I have to scrounge up even more dough to replace my old Yamaha RXV-595 (70x5) receiver. Even though I really don't have the money, I've gotten my roommate to agree to split half the cost of a Denon 3802 from 6ave, but I'm wondering if that will be enough of an improvement for me. I'm considering purchasing a used Parasound 1000a (125x2) amp to go with the 3802, and make the jump to seperates, but that would really break my bank account (like I'll be declining to purchase books for certain classes next semester.) However, I'm willing to do it if the 1000a would really produce substantially better sound over the built in amps of the 3802. I've found the Parasound for about $300. What would be my best choice?

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Justin,

Let us put this in perspective. This is a hobby (yes we often become obsessed), but it should not interfer with your "normal" life. You should not jepardize your education for an amp. The amp will be there later (or a similar one), but your education may not be. Besides, you will want to upgrade later, and with a good education comes a better job, more money, and thus, better HT equpipment. Save your money, buy the books, and study.

Good luck, and I Hope this helps.

3. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I haven't tried the particular Parasound with the 3802, but it most certainly will improve the sound compared to the built in amps. The Denon 3802 esp. with Paradigms would be a definite improvement over the 595 not as much due to an increase in power/ch but due to the denon sounding much warmer and sweeter than the 595. You should love the sound of this combo. The surround processing from the 3802 is also top notch and you will have to spend considerable dough in order to hear an improvement over it. I would say go with the 3802 for now and sometime down the road when you have more money get a used 2 channel amp like a B&K or a Parasound or a Rotel for about $300 on Audiogon or ebay and step to the next level in sound. These two channel amps keep comming for sale so you dont have to rush into buying one right now. Save the cash for those text books next sem.

4. JustinP

George,
    I appreciate the response. Perhaps I was being a bit dramatic. For the sake of arguement, lets substitute not being able to buy books for something more pragmatic, like not being able to buy beer [​IMG] . Purchasing the 1000a would probably deplete my savings, but I would still have money for food/books/rent/etc. It would just mean I'd have less discretionary income. That said, any other responses would be helpful.
    Thanks.

5. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Anyone else up for an intervention? [​IMG]

6. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Justin,

Well if you are a rare college student that can go without beer and pizza, then go for it. My sound improved dramatically when I added a Rotel 1075 amp to my Yamaha 995 (I run Kef Q series speakers), so it is a worthwhile upgrade.

Hope this helps.

7. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

i'd say no. wait...
    the 60's and 3802 together, are gonna sound amazing (they're sitting in my living room...), though 300$ is very tempting, i agree.
    still, the denon wil shake your room/apt whatever, believe you me.[​IMG]

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

How big of a room are we talking about here and tell me please that you have renter's insurance that covers what you have. I personally would hold off and opt for the pizza/beer and socializing aspect of college.

9. JustinP

Thanks for all the response.

Did some thinking, and I've decided that I can take the monetary concern aspect out of the equation by working my last week of summer instead of sitting around on my ass at home. True, it'd be nice to have week off before starting class, but I'll have an extra $400 to show for it. So, assuming cost concerns are no longer an issue as I'll have decent savings to see me through the year, would there be enough of a difference between the 3802's amp section and the Parasound 1000a to justify the $300?

Thanks

10. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Justin, why not buy the amp and use it with your Yamaha for now. I don't see a huge improvement going to the Denon without an external amp, in fact, I'd say you will like the Yamaha/amp combo enough to hold you over through the school year. Also, you may want to go separates all the way and forget the receiver.
    Here's what I would do,(in fact I did this) get a 3 channel amp and use the Yamaha to power your surrounds. 2 channel music(if that's a concern)would improve and your front soundstage would have equal power. Then, when you have more money, purchase a preamp, another amp for the surrounds and you'll be completely separate.[​IMG]

11. JustinP

Frank,
    Thanks for the response. I would go with your suggestion, however, my Yamaha RXV-595 doesn't have pre-outs for external amplifiers. So basically I'm stuck upgrading to some sort of a makeshift pre/pro, and from what I've read, purchasing the 3802 would be one of the most cost effective methods of doing so. Also, I should add that the 60's are the only speakers I own right now, as they were an upgrade from a Bose AM6 package [​IMG]. In light of this information, do you have any other recommendations?

12. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

13. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Screenwriter

Justin :

My advice to you is to get the Denon 3802 and spend the rest on dvds.

You will enjoy them both NOW.

IMHO

14. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Justin,
    While I was reading your post I was starting to get that "what the hell is he doing" feeling. The I read Gearge Kings post that summed it up perfectly. Then I read your reply about less beer money and I thought "yea, right" Then I read Chu Gai's post and have to agree...enjoy college!!! It's a time you will look back on and remember the socializing, and not particularly the HT setup.
    If you must...get the 3802 and hold off on the amp. Don't buy DVD's, why not rent them with a group and enjoy that way. Never buy anything that will compromise your education!!!
    Sorry, I sound like a father....I just know that when I was in college I had a hard time focusing on what I could do down the road as it seemed so far away. Looking back (I'm 40) it was only a small "snap shot" of time that flew by.
    enjoy[​IMG]

15. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Whatever you do, make sure you buy the required books, even if you don't read them. Last semester I didn't buy some books and instead used the internet as a reference. I ended up barely getting a C in the class.
    As with your problem. I don't think there's a huge difference in upgrading the denons amps. I've heard a lot of good reviews on sound from the 3802 in magazines and posts. I've even heard a 600 watt Krell monoblock/prepro sound not much different than a mid range receiver. The only negative part I remember was with the highs. Sound also has a lot to do with your other components and room, not just the proc. and amp.
    My recommendation:
    1 Denon.
    2 Subwoofer. (Enjoy 2.1 music, and bass for movies)
    3 Center (you now get a bigger sweet spot)
    4 Surround (more like your in the movie)
    5 back channel?
    6 2 channel amp then maybe 5 channel amp
    7 9.1 pre/pro, and sell Denon? [​IMG]
    8 upgrade speakers?

16. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

Justin,

I have the same type of setup (Denon 3802 plus Studio 60v2). The sound is great. I will be getting a 2 channel amp, however, for a couple of reasons:

1. It will not compromise my finances (I should say "our" finances).

2. I have a good source (Sony SCD-C555ES).

3. The people on this forum and other sources state that there will be an improvement.

My question to you is what source do you have? If it is not very good, perhaps the money should be directed there for the best bang for the buck.
    As many people here I'm sure can testify, try not to let this hobby become an obsession.

David

17. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

If you are in college, I am assuming your room isn't that big. Really, you don't need the amps, forget about them. At the very least, get the Denon first and see if you are satisfied with it.
    I would get either a set of surrounds at this point. Set the center to phantom and voila, you have true surround sound in your room. Much more impressive than just 2 speakers + amps you don't need. Now everyone will be hanging out at your place so you won't have any problems with socializing. Admission should you be either a can of beer or a slice of pizza and you're all set [​IMG].
    Whatever you do, don't compromise the Beer/Pizza funds.
    --
    Holadem

18. JustinP

Alright, I've made my decision. Even though it's financially possible to pick up the Parasound, I'm going to stick with getting just the 3802 (for now). I did some thinking, and I realized going to separates right now would be overkill, as my audio setup is going into a bedroom I have to share because it's three grand a month for a three bedroom apartment around USC (complete bullshit considering it's practically South Central). I'm hoping the 3802 will give me a lot of that imaging and sonic precision I'm missing with the 595, as well as tone down the brightness a tad (although I like a forward sound). Anyway, thanks again for all the response, and I'm looking forward to producing another post proclaiming the virtues of the Denon.

19. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Wise decision[​IMG] . I think you will be more than happy with the internal amps in the Denon.
    After graduation and 20 years from now you can get the latest, greatest, Dolby Digital XXIV with 24.6 audio and 200WPC monoblocks, in your own room as your wife will not have that %^&$.
    GOOD LUCK!
    Phil

20. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

not a bad decision...3K/month huh? let's hope it does give you that imaging although I wouldn't count on the brightness aspect. good to have money left over to enjoy the other aspects of college life...success in your education and afterwards.