What's new

Separates Combination (1 Viewer)

Scott Yuri

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not really in any rush, but a comment in a receiver thread did get my attention. I don't know beans about separates. The comment was that "receivers have entered the PC age" meaning obsolesence is near to date of purchase. So why not buy a good amp, and then keep up with rapid technology changes in your pre/pro. That being said, what does a good 6/7 channel 100 watt (or so) amp cost? And then what can you expect to pay for good pre/pro? This is mainly HT, about 80/20. Thanks

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Scott, amps you can get used for great deals. They usually last many, many years, so you don't have to buy new there.

You can get a 7 channel amp for around $1500. Soon, Outlaw will release their 770 amp that is 200 watts x7 and will cost about $1900, but I'm sure you can also get a 5 channel amp used for about $700-1100 and combine that with a used 2 channel amp for $400-700.

As for pre/pros, if you want the latest bells and whistles, you will have to get new. But the soon to be released Outlaw 950 will give you a great head start into the world of separates for only $900 and the Beta testers rave about it's sound. It's missing a few features but nothing you would be really concerned with. Or you can get something used, but there is a really big gap in the pre/pro world right now between the $1000 price range and the $3000 price range. You can get used processors that sound great for around $1500-2500, but they may lack the latest and greatest features (Dolby Pro Logic 2, etc).

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I'd say you're looking at the $1500 range for 6-7ch of quality amplification. A pre-pro with most of the feature's you'd find on a high end receiver will run you at least $3k. Assuming the company stands behind their product, HW & SW updates to the pre/pros occur 6 months+ after the new receivers show up. The HW updates usually cost $$$. I don't understand why some company doesn't sell a higher-end stand alone decoder for all these formats (then we'd just need an extron switcher and a preamp).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks